Home – New Forums Selling online Should I pay for website maintenance?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    paz456
    • Total posts: 11
    Up
    ::

Hi guys

What do you think about paying a company to look after your website? I’ve had a few companies say that for a monthly fee they can take care of things like backups, plugin updates (I’m running wordpress), and generally keeping it up and running smoothly. Is this hard to manage by myself? Is it worth paying $100/month to get it taken care of?

Look forward to your input.

Paz

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Its absolutely essential to have regular backups and plugin updates with wordpress.
    How much is it worth? I would do it myslef, it should take about 10min per month.
    How about you pay someone to teach you how to do it, and put in a recurring reminder in outlook?

Steve

Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125
    Up

The “should I pay for…” question can apply to just about anything…

and the answer of course is that if you want someone else to do that thing, then yes you should pay them!

If on the other hand you can do it yourself and are happy to do so, well don’t pay someone else!

Want someone to clean your house? Well you could do it yourself… but…

paz456
    Up

Aidan, thanks for pointing that out. I suppose the question is around the value of having a professional do it, opposed to myself.

Steve, I like your idea of paying somebody to teach me.

I appreciate your input guys.

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up

Um,

If you are already maintaining it… why are you considering the change? or did i misread that you were currently maintaining it?

Steve’s right though, it really only takes a few minutes (10-15) dependent on complexity… i do mine regularly and have an outlook reminder slap me in the face about coffee time once a week in the mornings :)

If you don’t currently do it, paying someone to show you how is a great idea.. investment will pay itself back many times over…

Be well

Jason ;)

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    themoneytap
    • Total posts: 41
    Up

I think $100 is a bit rich, but id ask for a breakdown of exactly what they offer.

Does everyone make online and flash drive backups?

Tiggerito
    • Total posts: 362
    Up

I backup wordpress using Backwpup and have it automatically do that to dropbox so I can easily archive it.

I frequently check and perform updates.

And that’s just part of what I do for clients. For $100 a month I would expect more.

Saying that, I am encouraging website developers to offer maintenance services and I think a fixed retainer can be a good way to do it. The services that could be offered to make it more valuable could include:

Site crawl and link validation
    Backlink check and link validation
    Google Webmaster Tools check and fixing identified errors
    Malware and hack checks
    Backups of files and database
    Monthly progress reports

On top of that, knowledge and technology changes. Every month there is a new opportunity for enhancing a clients website.

AngelaGirl
    • Total posts: 330
    Up
    paz456, post: 168288 wrote:
    Steve, I like your idea of paying somebody to teach me.

I think Greg (estim8) is your man. Seems like a perfect fit to me!

His website is in this recent thread: Review or comment please

Cheers
    Angela

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

Part of my built in fee is backups and upgrades of WordPress – I do not allow customers the ability to do it themselves, because they never do, and it’s me that has to fix the mess later.

Most people will be happy enough to say they will take care of it, but people that actually do is rare.

I use WordPress Multisite, so I only need to update it from one location.

Plugins are also a issue, I only allow certain plugins to be used, this also helps with server speed and security.

Mind you, I don’t charge $100 per month.

If you plan to do it yourself, I highly recommend you set a time each month, and stick to it religiously.

eWAY
    • Total posts: 524
    Up
    MatthewKeath, post: 168341 wrote:
    Part of my built in fee is backups and upgrades of WordPress – I do not allow customers the ability to do it themselves, because they never do, and it’s me that has to fix the mess later.

Most people will be happy enough to say they will take care of it, but people that actually do is rare.

I use WordPress Multisite, so I only need to update it from one location.

Plugins are also a issue, I only allow certain plugins to be used, this also helps with server speed and security.

Mind you, I don’t charge $100 per month.

If you plan to do it yourself, I highly recommend you set a time each month, and stick to it religiously.

Here’s where the value is.

You have a professional that uses WordPress and the plugins every day, they’ll know which plugins work properly with each incremental upgrade and where to be careful
    They won’t panic and freak out if something breaks (meaning your website will be restored quickly if something does go wrong)
    They’ll know how to fix it if something happens.
    They’ll know which plugins you should be using, rather than using the ones you found that look like they should do what you want.

I agree with the statement about asking what you’re getting for $100/month, but this is more from the lines of any developer worth their salt charging more than this for an hours work so you’re likely only getting 15 minutes work a week – which would probably mean if something breaks it’ll cost you extra to get it fixed.

Maclean

paz456
    Up
    MatthewKeath, post: 168341 wrote:
    I do not allow customers the ability to do it themselves, because they never do, and it’s me that has to fix the mess later.

I only allow certain plugins to be used, this also helps with server speed and security.

I’m not so sure I’d be happy with surrendering the control of my website. If I want things to be changed on my website, such as the layout, design or logo, does that mean only you can make those changes?

paz456
    Up
    eWAY, post: 168351 wrote:
    I agree with the statement about asking what you’re getting for $100/month, but this is more from the lines of any developer worth their salt charging more than this for an hours work so you’re likely only getting 15 minutes work a week – which would probably mean if something breaks it’ll cost you extra to get it fixed.

Maclean

Hi Maclean, thanks for your response. Thats a really interesting insight into where the value is in paying a professional to manage this. Could you clarify for me, do you think that $100/month is not a lot of money compared with the cost of paying a developer an hourly rate to fix a problem that has occurred because I was trying to manage it myself?

MatthewKeath
    Up
    paz456, post: 168374 wrote:
    I’m not so sure I’d be happy with surrendering the control of my website. If I want things to be changed on my website, such as the layout, design or logo, does that mean only you can make those changes?Not at all.

It’s rare that a client needs to make des

MatthewKeath
    Up
    paz456, post: 168374 wrote:
    I’m not so sure I’d be happy with surrendering the control of my website. If I want things to be changed on my website, such as the layout, design or logo, does that mean only you can make those changes?Not at all.

It’s rare that a client needs to make major design or layout changes themselves – if they are that advanced they don’t need my services. We are there to help them and provide advice.

The client can make all the changes WordPress allowed, such as CSS, content, menus, pages, SEO, social media etc.

They also own the website are able to move it as they see fit, if they decide they want another designer to take control.

eWAY
    • Total posts: 524
    Up
    paz456, post: 168375 wrote:
    Hi Maclean, thanks for your response. Thats a really interesting insight into where the value is in paying a professional to manage this. Could you clarify for me, do you think that $100/month is not a lot of money compared with the cost of paying a developer an hourly rate to fix a problem that has occurred because I was trying to manage it myself?

Hi Paz,

I don’t think you can expect a lot for $100. For that, you’ll get 15 minutes of time a week which will cover logging in, doing a backup, clicking the one-click upgrade button, and logging out. They might quickly flick through the site to make sure pages still come up. But some things could get missed very easily.

Find out what you get and let us know and we’ll be able to say whether it’s good value or not.

Maclean

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.