Home – New Forums Starting your journey Should I revisit my services?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    BlackCoffeeComms
    • Total posts: 472
    Up
    ::

Hi there

I launched my business writing consultancy about seven months ago, and it is going reasonably well for a start up.

I am finding, however, that my clients are often turning to me for advice on broader communication project issues.

They come to me because my background is incredibly broad (PR, journalism, some marketing, publications, customer service, gov’t, policies and procedures etc etc).

I think I need to have a big think about what I want to do, and perhaps make a move into communications project management. Ie: A client comes to me wanting web/brochures/media/packaging etc so not only do I do the writing, but I liaise with the developers, designers etc for the whole project.

(One of the main reasons this has cropped up is that I have a client at the moment who is going about things all backwards and I am finding that it’s taking up a lot of my time just trying to deal with her developer – who, quite honestly, might be a whizzbang IT guy but seems to know very little about broader design issues, copy, navigation and how it all integrates.”

I’m really interested in other’s views about whether there would be a demand for this. And also, how do I go about refocusing my still new business?? And then how do I market such a service???

Cheers and thanks

Nicole

misspt
    • Total posts: 14
    Up

I think that if you are being approached for those services by existing clients then there’d definitely be a market for that. Perhaps you could send out emails advising clients of the extension of your services?
    I’m no expert, but maybe you could sit down and develop a chart or something about how all your services marry up? Eg, you might like to offer something but it might not connect with what you are currently offering…?

misspt
    • Total posts: 14
    Up

I think that if you are being approached for those services by existing clients then there’d definitely be a market for that. Perhaps you could send out emails advising clients of the extension of your services?
    I’m no expert, but maybe you could sit down and develop a chart or something about how all your services marry up? Eg, you might like to offer something but it might not connect with what you are currently offering…?

AgentMail
    • Total posts: 1,741
    Up

It’s also important to understand if those services can carry the same profitability of what you are currently doing.

Is someone willing to pay for your time in liaison etc. with other service providers to the same extent they are your writing services?

I don’t know the answer to this, but I do know from experience that moving away from your core focus to assist in other areas that are ‘closely alligned’ with what you do can be costly to you.

Always keep in mind your ability to manage the tasks requested with what you want to be able to charge for your services

AgentMail
    • Total posts: 1,741
    Up

It’s also important to understand if those services can carry the same profitability of what you are currently doing.

Is someone willing to pay for your time in liaison etc. with other service providers to the same extent they are your writing services?

I don’t know the answer to this, but I do know from experience that moving away from your core focus to assist in other areas that are ‘closely alligned’ with what you do can be costly to you.

Always keep in mind your ability to manage the tasks requested with what you want to be able to charge for your services

BlackCoffeeComms
    Up
    AgentMail, post: 106129 wrote:

Very good points. Thanks. Maybe the answer is to offer this as a “premium” service (and stop giving it away – which seems to be the case right now!)

BlackCoffeeComms
    Up
    AgentMail, post: 106129 wrote:

Very good points. Thanks. Maybe the answer is to offer this as a “premium” service (and stop giving it away – which seems to be the case right now!)

MsLilyPonds
    • Total posts: 264
    Up

Nicole, if you do, I am noticing that I am getting TONS of enquiries for website management and I just don’t want to do it. It’s a good gig, charge per hour, write the content, seo it, upload it – but I don’t have the time and I recently discovered that I hate uplaoding content. If you can include websties in your services, you’ll have TONS of work :)

MsLilyPonds
    • Total posts: 264
    Up

Nicole, if you do, I am noticing that I am getting TONS of enquiries for website management and I just don’t want to do it. It’s a good gig, charge per hour, write the content, seo it, upload it – but I don’t have the time and I recently discovered that I hate uplaoding content. If you can include websties in your services, you’ll have TONS of work :)

yourvirtualboard
    • Total posts: 569
    Up

Nicole, it’s fairly common in the first year to realise what you offer, what you can do and what the market wants may be a little different and also worth recognising what misspt has put so well – the market needs can dictate where to develop.

I have always summarised it as follows:

1) What do I do?
    2) What can I do?
    3) What do I want to do?

All of course based on a need or want being fulfilled in the market. Now the happiest people I know are a combination of 2 & 3 able to do what they want to do.

yourvirtualboard
    • Total posts: 569
    Up

Nicole, it’s fairly common in the first year to realise what you offer, what you can do and what the market wants may be a little different and also worth recognising what misspt has put so well – the market needs can dictate where to develop.

I have always summarised it as follows:

1) What do I do?
    2) What can I do?
    3) What do I want to do?

All of course based on a need or want being fulfilled in the market. Now the happiest people I know are a combination of 2 & 3 able to do what they want to do.

BlackCoffeeComms
    Up

Thanks Harry – that a good succinct way of putting it.

I know what I do and what I can do – now I just have to work out what I want to do.

To be honest, I probably boxed myself in at the start concentrating on copywriting. I do love writing, but I also love helping people out with broader comms issues. And I’m finding that the more I delve into the world of micro- and small-business – I love finding marketing/PR solutions for people that are lost, but can’t afford a full-service agency.

All food for thought.

Nicole

BlackCoffeeComms
    Up

Thanks Harry – that a good succinct way of putting it.

I know what I do and what I can do – now I just have to work out what I want to do.

To be honest, I probably boxed myself in at the start concentrating on copywriting. I do love writing, but I also love helping people out with broader comms issues. And I’m finding that the more I delve into the world of micro- and small-business – I love finding marketing/PR solutions for people that are lost, but can’t afford a full-service agency.

All food for thought.

Nicole

Keeta Nova
    • Total posts: 294
    Up

Great topic! I’ve been writing for over 18 years, however technology is constantly changing my business, and I too have so many options to reinvent myself.

Many of my clients have given me amazing offers to work with them on new projects, outside of writing. I have web development skills and a whole range of other abilities, that’d easily see me merging into a different field.

But I enjoy simplicity. I’m just sticking to writing, because that gives me enough diversity already.

Keeta Nova
    • Total posts: 294
    Up

Great topic! I’ve been writing for over 18 years, however technology is constantly changing my business, and I too have so many options to reinvent myself.

Many of my clients have given me amazing offers to work with them on new projects, outside of writing. I have web development skills and a whole range of other abilities, that’d easily see me merging into a different field.

But I enjoy simplicity. I’m just sticking to writing, because that gives me enough diversity already.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.