Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Should I use an agent or sell direct to retailers?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Dade
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone

I’m in the development stage of a homewares wholesale business, specifically importing and manufacturing handmade African themed home decor. My intention is to establish a high quality, vibrant African themed home decor brand that becomes the go-to brand for African inspired decor. It’s quite niche. Currently my product lines are: cushions, tableware, art, and other accessories. My target market that I’ve identified is the more exclusive/upmarket interior designers and home decor/homewares stores.

I am trying to think through my distibution options and could either go with a nationwide agent or distributor (what is the difference?), or try and market myself directly.

Any thoughts/tips would be much appreciated and also how to go about identifying an agent/distributor. googling hasn’t yielded much.

Thanks

Rowan@quaotic
    Participant
    • Total posts: 712
    Up

As an ex store owner I would encourage you to try to find an independent sales rep/agent. I enjoyed the variety my reps had and they seemed to try harder for their different products. It was much easier dealing with agents than the manufacturers or distributors themselves.

I gather that it can be difficult to find an agent so it might pay to ask around at other similar stores to see what agents visit, or this site seems to offer what you might need: http://salesreps.com.au/

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Dade,

It’s nice to meet you :)

Your products sound amazing, and I hope your new venture is a great success.

Rowan has given you some useful insights to kick things off (thanks Rowan!), and I’m sure others in the community will have experience to share too.

All the best,
    Jayne

Jenny Spring
    • Total posts: 597
    Up
    Dade, post: 207921 wrote:
    Hi everyone

I’m in the development stage of a homewares wholesale business, specifically importing and manufacturing handmade African themed home decor. My intention is to establish a high quality, vibrant African themed home decor brand that becomes the go-to brand for African inspired decor. It’s quite niche. Currently my product lines are: cushions, tableware, art, and other accessories. My target market that I’ve identified is the more exclusive/upmarket interior designers and home decor/homewares stores.

I am trying to think through my distibution options and could either go with a nationwide agent or distributor (what is the difference?), or try and market myself directly.

Any thoughts/tips would be much appreciated and also how to go about identifying an agent/distributor. googling hasn’t yielded much.

Thanks

Hello Dade

You should definitely do BOTH!

Also, finding a national distributor is going to be difficult, and the whole pint of a distributor…. Actually it’s an agent you need… Is to make face to face sales call.

Manage your own geo area, and hire someone to sell into e area you aren’t in.

Jenny

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.