Home – New Forums Tech talk Should I wait for Windows 8?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    DanielM
    • Total posts: 241
    Up
    ::

It is drawing closer to when I purchase my annual laptop but I have an issue. I am not sure if I should wait for Windows 8?

What are the pro’s and con’s of having windows 8, should I wait until October (if that is the release date) or should I go ahead and purchase my new Laptop?

TehCamel
    • Total posts: 873
    Up

I would say no.

Windows 8, thus far, is a disgrace. It’s even more of a phase-shift than Windows 95 was from Windows 3.

I suspect it’ll be like Vista. I’ll skip it all together as best I can.

TehCamel
    Up

I would say no.

Windows 8, thus far, is a disgrace. It’s even more of a phase-shift than Windows 95 was from Windows 3.

I suspect it’ll be like Vista. I’ll skip it all together as best I can.

NathanB
    Participant
    • Total posts: 775
    Up

Get a mac.

NathanB
    Participant
    • Total posts: 775
    Up

Get a mac.

JohnSheppard
    • Total posts: 940
    Up

If you can wait 6 months for a new laptop….it doesn’t matter what operating system is on it….you don’t need a new laptop :)

At least that’s what you’re accountant would probably say….most of whom in my experience know a bit about making money…

JohnSheppard
    • Total posts: 940
    Up

If you can wait 6 months for a new laptop….it doesn’t matter what operating system is on it….you don’t need a new laptop :)

At least that’s what you’re accountant would probably say….most of whom in my experience know a bit about making money…

websitedesigner
    • Total posts: 917
    Up

A lot of these responses aren’t all that helpful. I am happy with my Mac but I wouldn’t mind a response from someone who follows Windows and has an opinion on what the new OS will be like. There was a post on here a few months ago about it, might be worth checking out.

Generally I would always prefer to wait for the latest and greatest if I was in your situation although it does seem like a pretty big change and I think you’d have to wait a lot longer than the actual release date to work out if people were going to take to it.

websitedesigner
    • Total posts: 917
    Up

A lot of these responses aren’t all that helpful. I am happy with my Mac but I wouldn’t mind a response from someone who follows Windows and has an opinion on what the new OS will be like. There was a post on here a few months ago about it, might be worth checking out.

Generally I would always prefer to wait for the latest and greatest if I was in your situation although it does seem like a pretty big change and I think you’d have to wait a lot longer than the actual release date to work out if people were going to take to it.

bluepenguin
    • Total posts: 1,026
    Up

JohnSheppard is a very wise man. If you can afford to wait 6 months, why would you buy something now? If you’re buying quality machines, they’ll should serve you well for much more than 12 months.

Having said that, if you must buy something now, just buy it and then upgrade it to windows 8 when it comes out – after the world has had a chance to test it out for you first.

From what I’m hearing, Windows 8 is gonna be more geared towards tablets and things with touch screens, which doesn’t sound that exciting to me, as I spend my days staring at 2 big, fat monitors.

bluepenguin
    • Total posts: 1,026
    Up

JohnSheppard is a very wise man. If you can afford to wait 6 months, why would you buy something now? If you’re buying quality machines, they’ll should serve you well for much more than 12 months.

Having said that, if you must buy something now, just buy it and then upgrade it to windows 8 when it comes out – after the world has had a chance to test it out for you first.

From what I’m hearing, Windows 8 is gonna be more geared towards tablets and things with touch screens, which doesn’t sound that exciting to me, as I spend my days staring at 2 big, fat monitors.

Stuart B
    • Total posts: 1,070
    Up

I’m personally excited about W8. I think it’s going to be a refreshing change for windows users.

Stuart B
    • Total posts: 1,070
    Up

I’m personally excited about W8. I think it’s going to be a refreshing change for windows users.

TehCamel
    Up
    websitedesigner, post: 112513 wrote:

Sorry.. a bit more detailed and indepth then..

Windows 8 is based around Microsoft’s vision that we’re moving towards a tablet world. That said, the entire OS is very much like a tablet. There’s no “Start” menu like we’re used to. It’s not intuitive to find things.
    You can’t turn the “old” style back on..

I’m happy to set you up a remote session and give you a look.

TehCamel
    Up
    websitedesigner, post: 112513 wrote:

Sorry.. a bit more detailed and indepth then..

Windows 8 is based around Microsoft’s vision that we’re moving towards a tablet world. That said, the entire OS is very much like a tablet. There’s no “Start” menu like we’re used to. It’s not intuitive to find things.
    You can’t turn the “old” style back on..

I’m happy to set you up a remote session and give you a look.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.