Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Should I write my own web copy?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    gingerbeardhs
    • Total posts: 90
    Up
    ::

Hi Folks,

I’m hoping to get some input from those out there who have “been there & done that.”

I’m kind of at the crossroads in deciding if I should write the content for my website myself, or find someone to do it for me.

I’m a sole trader handyman & appliance repairer and up until now I have done pretty much everything myself website-wise, except for a basic page re-design, which I then expanded on.

I’m not too afraid of learning to properly write my own copy, especially as I enjoy doing things myself and seeing the results from that work. The thing is, while I feel I can get to being proficient at writing copy for myself, I will never be a professional copy-writer.

Another issue is that at this stage of the business, I can’t really afford to go out and pay for a high tier web copy writing/editing service that I know will be superb. It may also be overkill for the kind of website I’m trying to create.

What I can afford is $40-$60/hr for 3-5 hrs of copy service initially(which is what I have been quoted), to get the language right to encourage potential clients to contact me and for SEO of the copy itself so that I actually get potential clients. At this kind of price point, I’m also able to devote an intensive few weeks to getting how-to material (to close to the same value) and learning how to be proficient at it.

I am looking to write copy that sells Me & My services, so I also feel that my voice will be lost if I have someone write copy for me.

For those of you who have gone through a similar process, given what I can afford and what I can devote to doing it myself, will I see a difference if I hire somebody at this price point?

Feel free also to take a look at my website to see the content I have now, to see the base level copy I have written.

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up

I did read some of your copy and thought it was pretty appropriate for the service you’re offering.

Usually if you know the business well (and your typical client) your own copy will often be better than a copywriter that isn’t very familiar with your sector.

Good ones can do it, but you can spend a fair bit for them to accurately research your market

One thing I’ve done in the past that I thought was really good value was to get a good copywriter to just “edit” what I’d written. With a few changes of their’s thrown in I got a pretty good result without breaking the bank.

gingerbeardhs
    Up

Thanks for the input Greg. I do infact have a professional writer friend offer to copy-edit my website but there is only so much I can lean on a friend for this kind of thing and I basically have little idea on how to sell myself

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up
    gingerbeardhs, post: 238582, member: 84763 wrote:
    Thanks for the input Greg. I do infact have a professional writer friend offer to copy-edit my website but there is only so much I can lean on a friend for this kind of thing and I basically have little idea on how to sell myself

I had the same problem, too hard being objective about your own stuff…I actually find it easy when it’s someone else (well good enough usually).

Try Anna at, http://www.copybreak.com.au she has been a regular poster here in the past, should give you a fixed price and does in minutes what takes me hours.

gingerbeardhs
    Up

Thanks, checking it out

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up

Hi Tait,

I feel there are some answers to satisfy your self with before asking about copy.

In order for copy to shine, you need to be found and there are 2 major ways to do that, advertising and SEO.

Once you have been found, you want the right people (eg, people that can afford to pay your rates) to book your services and to turn away people that are effectively going to waste your time.

To get the elements right, you need the right site structure and to tick all of the on-page SEO signals you want to send to Google.

So starting from the start, I feel you need to address your site structure because without it, you won’t be found by the people you want to find you.

Next up is your copy and you have made a really great start where I look at the inside pages of your site.

A quick tip around copy is to add the words “so that you” to each point you want to make. This disciplines you to think about what the customer is looking for. Your copy ideally will satisfy your customer’s desire for confidence in you, trust in you and help them to understand your expertise.

For example, “I work fast, so that you are not paying for more of my time that you need, “I clean up when the job is done so that your home is pristine when I leave”, I don’t add mark ups to your materials so that you are given a fair price for the work I do”.

I like [USER=38207]@Greg_M[/USER] ‘s idea around having the editing done for you because I feel you can get to a point where your copy will be good and will just need some structure and polish.

But I do also think, very strongly, that your site structure and SEO needs work before you embark on a copy overhaul.

Some of our members such as [USER=6375]@JohnW[/USER] or [USER=56118]@Byron Trzeciak[/USER] or our own [USER=49676]@Dave – FS Concierge[/USER] can provide advice if you want to take that step.

Cheers

gingerbeardhs
    Up

Thanks very much for the advice Paul. I’m always looking for areas for improvement.

Most of the SEO I have done has been via the instructions on Ranking Coach, while I try the service out. I’ve completed all the Local SEO tasks they have completed, for example.

I also thought I had most of the “behind the scenes” aspects of SEO squared away (according to ranking coach) and I’m now up to On-page tasks.

I still do have to incorporate the primary keywords I’m going for into my homepage. The way I was looking to do that was to have a general introduction with a decent image of myself but I have concerns that it will be too SEO-y which I don’t want.

Another thing I was going to do was split my services page up into Handyman Services and Appliance Repairs. Should I split them down further too eg a separate page for dishwasher repairs, which will be many small pages, or am I better off creating a Larger page for Appliance Repairs, creating sections on the page (dishwasher, washing machine etc) and link to those sections?

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

I know I am going of tangent here, but I have looked at you website, but I note Paul has as well, so taking that as a why not., and just have one niggling problem with it.

Go to the home page and there is your logo and phone number, All good..
    Click on services, and it appears (note I said appears) to stay on the same page, click on rates and it appears to stay on you home page again.

When I first did it, I thought its not moving off the home page, but now I realise I have to scroll down, personally I would make some change so that if I click to another page I actually know I have clicked to another page, without me sitting there staring at exactly the same page.

gingerbeardhs
    Up

Thanks Bert, Fixing that directly

Easysmb
    • Total posts: 84
    Up

Hi Tait
    Have a look at your website and here are some feedback:
    1. As per Bert, your header is too big, need to address it.
    2. Regarding copy writing, if you want to really drive organic traffic, it would be better for you to write the content and have it polished by some pro if you want. The key is to make your content in details, what kind of work done, where it is, how did you do the job, before and after images. In this way, you will get some organic traffic. Copy writer does not understand deeply about what you do.
    3. Regarding your website, not sure you want to change to other platform like weebly or wix, which you have good control and also you can publish your finished jobs consistently. And also your site will looks more professional. Currently, the work done is linking to instagram photos only, it does not help for your SEO plan.
    4. Maybe get a local domain like ginerbeardcanberra, which will help you get meaning local organic traffic.
    5. Show who you are on your website, it will increase trust worthy.

And also when your business and team grows, you can consider some job management solutions like serviceM8 to increase your professionalism and also productivity.

Good luck

gingerbeardhs
    Up

I’m not too interested in using weebly or wix, I prefer to use html & CSS. The site is based on the Bootstrap Framework which is pretty bare admittedly, but I prefer a minimalist look to the site.

I’ve changed some formatting to even the header out a bit better at

http://www.gingerbeardhs.com.au/enquiry.html

Does that appear better?

I’m working on getting a professional photo set for the website, just have to get the resources

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up

Hi Tait,

Here is a very good post from [USER=6375]@JohnW[/USER] on site structure.

http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/forums/index.php?threads/need-to-get-more-website-traffic.33928/#post-238505

gingerbeardhs
    Up

Thanks Paul,

I guess I have other things to square away before I should worry about copy :-)

Mischelle
    • Total posts: 805
    Up

Hi Tait,

I had looked at your site from when you posted previously, one thing I did not notice was your menu, until I read Bert’s post, I didn’t even see that :) opps, my bad.

Can you change the background colour to make the menu jump out a bit.

You have received a heap of advice, so this is just another little bit to add.

The post that Paul linked to is fantastic, I have read that one before and many of JohnW’s posts. He is very forthcoming with advice on SEO.

gingerbeardhs
    Up

Thanks very much for the advice. It should be pretty straight forward to change.

My website isn’t as mature as I hoped it was. That’s ok, I have a few things to get done and the improvements will certainly help me.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.