Home Forums Tech talk Showing website image in social media previews

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Tamara-H
    • Total posts: 8

I’m having trouble getting images from my website to show up in social site previews. Right now I’m just trying to have the home page banner image show in the website link.

I’ve looked at some articles about this and put in an ‘og:image’ tag with the URL. Checking it in the Facebook Debugger, the Home page image is now showing up in the preview (in the debugger), it still says that it’s missing ‘og:type’ and ‘fb:app_id’. And the image doesn’t seem to be working yet with Linked In.

Is anyone familiar with this problem?

P. S. I’m not a developer, in any sense!

MichaelSoker

Yes, it is to do with what CMS (content management system) your website is built with (eg WordPress etc) and the theme you are using on the CMS (eg JupiterX etc).

If you can advise that, or tell me your website URL (name) I can probably get closer to the solution for you.

Paul – FS Concierge
    • Total posts: 3,127

Hi And Welcome to Flying Solo [USER=119788]@Tamara-H[/USER] .

It is great to have you!

Thank you for joining our community and posting.

Cheers

Tamara-H

Hi Michael. I’m using Weebly, but not sure of the theme at the moment. Will need to check the site….
    In the meantime, the URL is http://www.sensitivethrive.com. Thanks for offering some help!

Tamara-H

Also, the main Home page image is now showing on Linked In updates.

MichaelSoker

Hi Tamara,

Unfortunately Weebly is a lock-in website provider so you’re limited to what their themes (designs) can do.

The Facebook button on your blog pages opens a pop-up that says “Turn on platform”, instead of the usual Facebook share box. See attached. That suggests you may have selected incorrect options when you added that.

But there are third party addons (some free) that you could use that will not need you to do any code. Just click, copy and paste. Have a review of these:-

Elfsite
    [MEDIA=youtube]hbtVw25THZs[/MEDIA]

ShareThis
    https://sharethis.com/support/installation/how-to-install-share-buttons-weebly/

Compare
    https://elfsight.com/alternatives/sharethis/

Tamara-H

Thanks, Michael. I didn’t realise the FB button was visible, or would say anything – I don’t have it connected yet, because I hadn’t made a FB business page until last week – but this reminds me that I should connect it!
    I’m just not sure about those messages from the FB developer site, which say I’ve got some code missing. Is it this, then? The share buttons?

MichaelSoker

Hi Tamara,

I don’t know what the FB developer site messages are either, so can’t help with that.

However, Weebly should help you with their theme, if not the two suggestions I posted can enable social buttons on a Weebly theme for you.

The main thing though is that you should have two things:-

1) Your readers should be able to easily post a link to your blog articles on any of their social media platforms, not just Facebook.

Best practice for these “social share” buttons is below the image or meta on the post. ie
    Title
    Social share icons
    Meta (date / category / author)
    Article body copy

2) A link to your social media page(s), normally in the footer or discretely in the header of each page.

Reason for this is that normally you find new users on social media and bring them to your website to position your products and sell them something.

Michael

Tamara-H

Thanks, Michael – that’s helpful. (I think I’ll ignore the og:type and fb:app_id error messages for now, since the image sharing seems to be working). I had also not considered the share buttons – I know they need to be there, but it hasn’t come up yet in my list – just the ‘go to my page on this social site’ ones. So I’ll look at setting them all up.

MichaelSoker

All the best with your site.

Look after your customers and they’ll look after your income.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.