Home – New Forums Tech talk Shredder recommendations

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Geronimo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 237
    Up
    ::

I’m looking at shredders, and can’t believe the price! I’m only one person, and would prefer a cross-cut. Any experiences if spending $400 is worth it over the $99 models?

John C.
    • Total posts: 439
    Up

Only you can decide whether the expense is justified, but in my experience the difference between a $99 model and a $400 model is like chalk and cheese. The more expensive models are far quieter, smoother, jam less often, are capable of shredding more pages at one time, do a better job of shredding envelopes, can shred credit cards and CD/DVDs, are capable of shredding for a longer duration before needing a break to cool the motor and often last much longer before failing.

The fact that you’re only one person is kind of irrelevant. How many pages are you likely to shred at one time? Per day? Per week?

If your documents are truly confidential, then cross shredding is essential. Ribbon shredded documents aren’t very difficult to put back together – obviously the risk of someone going to this trouble is less for a wedding celebrant than for a multi billion dollar bank!

Even cross shredding comes in different sizes – the smaller the better. Cross shredding also means that the waste takes up less space in your recycle bin.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
    John

IT Advocate
    • Total posts: 195
    Up

Johns right about the major differences between 99 and 499 shredders. Few years ago I had to shred reams of old documents using the company supplied shredder. It was small, the size of a under desk bin. Anything more than 4 pages at a time would jam it.

The better shredders can cut dvd/cd rom discs as well. Now feeding in discs was a fun experience, almost like a kids game.

Geronimo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 237
    Up
    onsiteTECHS, post: 70660 wrote:
    …in my experience the difference between a $99 model and a $400 model is like chalk and cheese. The more expensive models are …
    Ta, that’s what I was looking for. Care to offer any recommendations?
    IT Advocate
    Up

This one cuts 7 sheets per pass, 130 sheets per minute – cross cut – for $221. Fellows PowerShred DS 1 or $199 from Officeworks.

Or the Fellowes MicroShred MS-450Cs – at $423. 7 sheets per pass into 5/64 x 5/16″ micro-cut particles as fast as 60 sheets per minute. Ultra-quiet operation with virtually silent motor for use in shared spaces or cubicles

Now I’m confused the more expensive shredder has a slower cut rate? Ive been looking at the website trying to work it out.

The more expensive unit can shred for 12 consecutive minutes, while the cheaper model has no shred time. This would mean it is comparatively low.

So basically, if you have stacks of pages to shred, you want the 12 minute cut time. If its only a few sheets at a time, the cheaper model will suffice.

IT Advocate
    Up

actually, I would look at this one:

Fellowes P-48C Cross Cut Shredder, $99 Officeworks. Duty cycle means it can only cut continuously for 5 minutes then have a 15 min rest. For a small office, doing a sheet or two at a time, this is no big deal.

The cutter warranty is 3 years, i noticed the more expensive model was 5 years.

For $99 its a happy medium I guess. This does not cut CD’s.

It shreds 8 sheets per pass into cross cut particles and also powers through credit cards & staples. The PS-48C also features a safety lock which disables the shredder for added safety.

Specifications:
    8 Sheet Capacity
    18 Litre Bin
    Duty Cycle: 5 on/ 15 off
    Warranty Machine/Cutters: 2/3 years
    Auto Start and Reverse
    Safety lock
    Sheet Capacity Selector
    Shreds Staples and Credit Cards

AgentMail
    • Total posts: 1,741
    Up

http://www.axiaoffice.com.au/product_details.php?display=Martin%20Yale%203000-Shredders-Strip%20Cut%20-%20Security%20Level%202%20-%20Paper%20Shredders&cat_id=94&pro_id=158

Can highly recommend the martin yale – I used to sell these (rebranded) but they will take a good 15 sheets, shred credit and cds. Very robust machines with a good strip capacity and its on wheels :) (for when you play robot wars)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.