Home – New Forums Tech talk Shrinking photos to under 3MB for website

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    *Alison*
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    ::

Hi

I need to shrink my photos/images to under 3MB to fit on my website.

I have photoshop CS3 – anyone know what specs I need to tell the program to do this?

Thanks
    Alison

Webolution
    • Total posts: 61
    Up
    *Alison*, post: 18812 wrote:
    Hi

I need to shrink my photos/images to under 3MB to fit on my website.

I have photoshop CS3 – anyone know what specs I need to tell the program to do this?

Thanks
    Alison

Hi Alison,

3MB is still a rather large size for a web image. The quickest way is to simply resize your image (Menu: Image >> Image Size), whilst also changing it’s resolution (72dpi). Once you’ve done that, then go to File >> Save for Web, choose jpg and leave other default options as they are.

You should now have an image of about 50 – 150kb roughly.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
    Joel

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Thank you very much for the reply Joel.

I will do this.

Thanks again.
    Alison

onlineiq
    • Total posts: 93
    Up

Hi Alison,

I use a free online program to upload and shrink, crop and edit photos.

http://www.picnik.com

Its really simple to use. There are others available also, but this one has some great functionality. It has saved me hundreds of hours of fiddling with images!

Servcorp
    • Total posts: 14
    Up

Hi Alison,

The best and quickest solution for this, one which I’ve loved for many years without the need to adjust in Photoshop is as follows.

Windows Image Resizer

Once installed, all you have to do is right click on your image (or multiple images at once) and resize pictures from the menu. Remember to select ‘save a copy of the original’ as a just in case and also choose a 640×480 or bigger. This will reduce the image size 10 fold if not more.

Dave

DeniseMcNerney
    • Total posts: 18
    Up

Hi Alison,

I found this cool tool yesterday and use this http://tools.dynamicdrive.com/imageoptimizer/

It worked well except that some of the smaller images didn’t really need optimsing and the ones with a translucent background actually went black.

The main thing with your website is that it needs to load in 4 seconds. If it doesn’t and it isn’t the problem of your images then it might mean that your hosting is a litle slow.

Hope that helps.

DeniseMcNerney
    • Total posts: 18
    Up

Hi Alison,

I forgot to add, slice and dice your large images. They end up loads smaller and easier to laod.

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

You have photoshop, so you don’t need anything else.

100kb – 150kb should be max size for images. And that is a jpg with full photo detail. Any buttons / graphics should be much smaller than that, and you could use png or gifs for graphics to save even more space

Cheers

CONAN
    • Total posts: 16
    Up

For batch resizing I use this software http://www.batchphoto.com/

It is fast and very easy to use.

Cheers
    Paul

bigambition
    • Total posts: 30
    Up

Since you’re using Photoshop there is a “Save for Web and Devices” option under the file menu, this will enable you to adjust your image size and quality without having to change the original file.

VideoTraining
    • Total posts: 101
    Up

If you have Microsoft Office installed, you can also use Picture Manager to do batch picture compression – it even gives you options to choose from when trying to work out which size to go for.

START > ALL PROGRAMS > MICROSOFT OFFICE > TOOLS > PICTURE MANAGER

Don’t forget to make a copy of the photos before you compress them – just in case! :-)

Good luck.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.