Home – New Forums Starting your journey Shrug the shoulders, or would you be interested?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    miket82
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    ::

Hi

My name’s Mike and I’d love to get your thoughts on something. I’ve been in the corporate IT world for 5+ years as a business analyst and now a regional product manager and I’ve actually enjoyed it. It sounds a bit odd to say that, I mean, who ‘enjoys’ the 9-5?! But I’ve got some good skills out of it, I’ve met some great people, and I get paid pretty well (6 figures). Having said all that, I don’t really see that I improve people’s lives and I don’t get to directly see the impact of my work. So I’m thinking about branching out, which brings me to my question.

I’m thinking about starting a website to help corporate climbers negotiate pay rises, secure future ones, and become valued employees. People talk about bad performance reviews, they’re not happy with their job and of course, they find it tough to sell themselves to get a pay rise, so I think I can help with that.

Is this something you or people you know, would be interested in?

Appreciate you taking the time to read this. Hope to hear from you.

cheers
    mike

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up
    miket82, post: 238310, member: 85016 wrote:
    Hi

My name’s Mike and I’d love to get your thoughts on something. I’ve been in the corporate IT world for 5+ years as a business analyst and now a regional product manager and I’ve actually enjoyed it. It sounds a bit odd to say that, I mean, who ‘enjoys’ the 9-5?! But I’ve got some good skills out of it, I’ve met some great people, and I get paid pretty well (6 figures). Having said all that, I don’t really see that I improve people’s lives and I don’t get to directly see the impact of my work. So I’m thinking about branching out, which brings me to my question.

I’m thinking about starting a website to help corporate climbers negotiate pay rises, secure future ones, and become valued employees. People talk about bad performance reviews, they’re not happy with their job and of course, they find it tough to sell themselves to get a pay rise, so I think I can help with that.

Is this something you or people you know, would be interested in?

Appreciate you taking the time to read this. Hope to hear from you.

cheers
    mike
    Hi And Welcome to the Forums Mike. It is great to have you!,

I definitely think it will be something that people are interested in but employment related services are a crowded marketplace so how you get found and prove the value proposition will be the key challenges.

Good luck.

miket82
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Thanks Paul, appreciate the feedback. Yes certainly a crowded market place. Do you have any thoughts on how I can further validate this idea as one to pursue?

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    miket82, post: 238310, member: 85016 wrote:

A good idea, and one that I may have looked at in a previous life, but I do wonder if you will get the responses you are after on this forum, which as the name implies are those who fly solo or have very small teams, so most (not saying), all aren’t climbing those corporate ladders. I’m sure it is relevant to some, and would be interested to see what responses you do get.

Warren Cottis
    Participant
    • Total posts: 807
    Up
    miket82, post: 238328, member: 85016 wrote:
    Thanks Paul, appreciate the feedback. Yes certainly a crowded market place. Do you have any thoughts on how I can further validate this idea as one to pursue?

Hi and I agree with Paul.

To say the obvious… your answer lies in Research… Forums… the sales levels of books on Amazon on the topic… looking at the level of searches in Google Adwords for the associated keywords on your idea etc etc

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up
    miket82, post: 238328, member: 85016 wrote:
    Rob Fitzpatrick has written a seminal book on product testing validation. Here is a link:
    http://momtestbook.com/
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.