Home – New Forums Other discussions Signature set per post??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    tr3nton
    • Total posts: 68
    Up
    ::

Just updated my signature and noticed it didn’t apply to existing posts (which is typical behaviour of forums i believe).

So does changing my signature only apply it to the posts I create after a saving the changes? i.e. i set my sig as : abcdefgh, make 20 posts; change it to ijlkmnop. Do all posts have my sig as : ijlkmnop or first 20 have abcdefgh and the rest have ijklmnop?

Craig_Longmuir
    • Total posts: 556
    Up

updates old post for me

wordmistress
    • Total posts: 504
    Up
    tr3nton, post: 28341 wrote:
    Just updated my signature and noticed it didn’t apply to existing posts (which is typical behaviour of forums i believe).

So does changing my signature only apply it to the posts I create after a saving the changes? i.e. i set my sig as : abcdefgh, make 20 posts; change it to ijlkmnop. Do all posts have my sig as : ijlkmnop or first 20 have abcdefgh and the rest have ijklmnop?

Morning, Trent!

I change mine frequently and in fact, just changed it this morning. It’s supposed to change it on all existing, current and future posts until you change it again and that’s been my experience.

One of the FS pros will have to figure out why it’s not happening for you.

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

Youve probably confused the programme or it could set on the Christmas settings with no L inthere

Jake@EmroyPrint
    • Total posts: 1,117
    Up

I find that it does change over for me, just not instantly. It takes a while to convert all the old posts it seems.

tr3nton
    Up

mmm.. ok. i dunno. still not updated in older posts.. weird

Burgo.. i dunno what you just said :-/

maybe the forum doesnt want me to change my sig, lol

edit: ok.. i think i know the problem..

when you have your signature set and when you make a post, there is a check box below the post which says ‘add signature’, which is checked by default.. on the other hand when no signature is set, that option isn’t there, so it must add it into the database as ‘Off’… so even when i change it, it doesnt put it in…….. however if i go and edit every post i made, i can set it too on – needless to say, a bit of a mission.

Perhaps this behaviour is not ideal? (in my opinion)… even if no signature it should set this to ‘On’ or whatever the flag should be in the database.

Is there a DBA that can update my posts to make them all say ‘On’? if not, no big deal. you live you learn :)

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Tr3nton,
    I’m sorry, but I haven’t come across this one before, and I’m not sure how to fix it for you. I’ve forwarded your query to Peter, and I’m sure he’ll come up with the goods, but unfortunately he isn’t around today. Hold tight for a day or two and we’ll get it sorted out for you.

Thanks for letting us know. You learn something every day around here!
    Jayne

Peter – FS Administrator
    • Total posts: 1,889
    Up

Hi Tr3nton,
    Yep, you’ve nailed it with your last post.

Signatures will update across the board except for posts where you uncheck the ‘add signature’ box.

However, as you’ve noticed, if you don’t have a signature the system assumes you don’t want to add one so sets your posts to ‘don’t add signature’.

If the the default was ‘ON’ then you could add a signature at any time but then if you didn’t want your signature to appear on some posts you’d have to turn them off. Not sure which is preferred??

I’ll check on what we can do in the backend, but in the meantime it might be that you’re best to edit any earlier posts if you want your signature to appear.

Cheers
    Peter

tr3nton, post: 28411 wrote:
    mmm.. ok. i dunno. still not updated in older posts.. weird

Burgo.. i dunno what you just said :-/

maybe the forum doesnt want me to change my sig, lol

edit: ok.. i think i know the problem..

when you have your signature set and when you make a post, there is a check box below the post which says ‘add signature’, which is checked by default.. on the other hand when no signature is set, that option isn’t there, so it must add it into the database as ‘Off’… so even when i change it, it doesnt put it in…….. however if i go and edit every post i made, i can set it too on – needless to say, a bit of a mission.

Perhaps this behaviour is not ideal? (in my opinion)… even if no signature it should set this to ‘On’ or whatever the flag should be in the database.

Is there a DBA that can update my posts to make them all say ‘On’? if not, no big deal. you live you learn :)

tr3nton
    Up

Thanks for the info Peter.

In my personal opinion, it should default to on (which it does do when you have a sig) – but the option should also be there at all times so people can choose not to show a signature, when they don’t have one – in case they add one at a later date

Not to worry though ;)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.