Home – New Forums Tech talk Single versus plural, and does Google discriminate between them in a meaningful way

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Snakeman
    Participant
    • Total posts: 329
    Up
    ::

Dear all, here’s an interesting take on things.
    We own a registered trademark (as a plural word phrase), which in recent times has been used by competitors as a metatag (on site SEO and by backlinks) for search to steal our potential clients.
    They beat us with better SEO than we had and so we reacted by chasing down their backlinks and having our trademark/s removed.
    In the short term we had success and regained our rightful position at top of search for our registered trademark, bearing in mind we’d been using it for 32 years!
    Our trademark is widely recognized and searched for, generating many thousands of dollars worth of work a week.
    Then the bootleggers optimised their sites for the singular version of the trademark to steal our work and it seems that in recent years Google didn’t really discriminate between the singular or plural and so we got our arse done again by the same bootleggers.
    We could have chased the businesses down under misleading and deceptive conduct laws, but it was not a legal certainty as the businesses lacked assets, so in the first instance we didn’t act.
    Instead we managed to register the single version of trademark (passing opposition and registered recently) and will enforce our ownership to hopefully get what was sought by simpler means, that being removal of backlinks to competitors using this phrase as well.
    The question here is, have other SEO people noticed Google usually treats plurals and singulars much the same?
    All the best

Byron Trzeciak
    Participant
    • Total posts: 423
    Up

Re: Single versus plural, and does Google discriminate between them in a meaningful w

Hi Snakeman,

I presume you’re discussing your own site?

If that’s the case one of the biggest problems is your onsite SEO. I’d worry less about the number of links pointing at your site and look at investing some of the money you mentioned into a new website that has an optimised structure.

When you’ve got that sorted refocus on attaining valuable links and building content.

You may find that the onsite in conjunction with your link building efforts you might be able to sustain your ranking more easily. I’d also look at filming some of your snake handling shows or having someone film you handling snake removals etc. and adding that to your site on a regular basis.

Your content would be highly share worthy in my opinion because people are always intrigued by snakes and people game enough to handle them on a regular basis.

Cheers

Snakeman
    Participant
    • Total posts: 329
    Up

Re: Single versus plural, and does Google discriminate between them in a meaningful w

Byron, thanks for the advice and yes I was talking about my own web properties.
    Of note is that we did win in search for both trademarks until mid Aug, when the serial infringer managed to score a very good backlink, in turn with 600 links to it, that propelled his site above ours for the trademarks in search.
    For our other registered trademarks where we have been more diligent in enforcement, we appear unshakable from the entire page one of search results and not just position 1.
    Our lawyers are dealing with the serial infringer (and the backlinking friend) in a few weeks (they ignored the CAD’s, so next is the writ), but we have delayed for several reasons not the least being a big case next Monday (you’ll see it reported in the news), for which the other side has already offered a “no contest”.
    But the thrust of the post was none of this, but rather to question whether others here see little difference in results and rankings for singular versus plural terms?
    All the best

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

Snakeman, post: 201471 wrote:
    The question here is, have other SEO people noticed Google usually treats plurals and singulars much the same?
    All the best
    Hi Snakeman,
    In the hundreds of parameters used in Google’s algorithm there are a number that I would classify as usually minor modifiers of search results and this has been so for many years. In this list I would include:
    • Singular and plurals
    • Order of the words
    • Synonyms
    • Typos

The biggest factor will be the level of competition for any specific search phrase.
    Regs,
    JohnW

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.