Home – New Forums Tech talk Site designers advertising on client’s sites

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    Indo
    • Total posts: 59
    Up
    ::

I’ve been looking at other people’s sites here when asked to review them and noticed that some have the name and a link to the company that did the design. I have, of course, seen this before but it got me wondering what is the general policy of most designers toward this. Having been in sales I know that printing companies sometimes do this on brochures but in my experience we ask for a discount as I see it as a form of advertising on work they are asking to be paid for.

I had a new site designed a few months ago that I haven’t uploaded yet. The designers put their name and a link in the footer but I have removed it. I have no intention of asking for a discount or any other compensation I simply don’t want it there; it’s my site, about my product, and paid for by me – I don’t want the distraction. In the past I have received emails asking me to allow links in my text to particular sites and I always refuse this too so I see it as a similar situation.

Am I being unreasonable, is this something I should just accept?

websitedesigner
    • Total posts: 917
    Up

Policy is we put the link on there, if the client asks us to take it off we take it off.

websitedesigner
    • Total posts: 917
    Up

Policy is we put the link on there, if the client asks us to take it off we take it off.

T J Madigan
    • Total posts: 255
    Up

I have never placed a link to my site on a clients site. Their site is their site to market their business, not mine. I do have links to my company site from sites that I own and lease, but for me, putting my link on a clients site (especially without asking) is a liberty that I would not risk taking. As far as I’m concerned, the client has paid for the site (or SEO, or whatever) so it’s theirs. They own it. I have no rights to it (or any space on it) whatsoever.

To me… Something as simple as asking, or even offering a discount or monthly payment to have a link on the clients site would be a much more ethical approach.

Interesting article:
    http://yoast.com/footer-design-by-links/

While I don’t necessarily agree with everything in the following article it still makes for an interesting read and the author has some good points on the subject:
    http://alamoxie.com/blog/web-design/put-web-designer-footer/

As a sidenote:
    There are some unscrupulous web designers out the who will take advantage so you need to be very careful when hiring somebody to design your website. Adding a link to your website without asking is commonplace (as is claiming authorship in the metadata) the real kicker comes down the track when the odd few even go so far as to try to claim copyright, which of course means that you do not even own the design.

T J Madigan
    Up

I have never placed a link to my site on a clients site. Their site is their site to market their business, not mine. I do have links to my company site from sites that I own and lease, but for me, putting my link on a clients site (especially without asking) is a liberty that I would not risk taking. As far as I’m concerned, the client has paid for the site (or SEO, or whatever) so it’s theirs. They own it. I have no rights to it (or any space on it) whatsoever.

To me… Something as simple as asking, or even offering a discount or monthly payment to have a link on the clients site would be a much more ethical approach.

Interesting article:
    http://yoast.com/footer-design-by-links/

While I don’t necessarily agree with everything in the following article it still makes for an interesting read and the author has some good points on the subject:
    http://alamoxie.com/blog/web-design/put-web-designer-footer/

As a sidenote:
    There are some unscrupulous web designers out the who will take advantage so you need to be very careful when hiring somebody to design your website. Adding a link to your website without asking is commonplace (as is claiming authorship in the metadata) the real kicker comes down the track when the odd few even go so far as to try to claim copyright, which of course means that you do not even own the design.

Indo
    Up
    T J Madigan, post: 112917 wrote:
    As a sidenote:

To add to your comment TJ and perhaps a topic for another post, when I had my very first site designed I knew nothing at all about web sites and how it all worked. I asked a ‘web expert’ to put a site up for me and they registered the domain name in their own name. I had no end of trouble trying to get ownership of the domain when I decided to change hosts.
    Is there anything in place to prevent them owning the domain?

Indo
    Up
    As a sidenote:

To add to your comment TJ and perhaps a topic for another post, when I had my very first site designed I knew nothing at all about web sites and how it all worked. I asked a ‘web expert’ to put a site up for me and they registered the domain name in their own name. I had no end of trouble trying to get ownership of the domain when I decided to change hosts.

T J Madigan
    Up
    Indo, post: 112919 wrote:
    I asked a ‘web expert’ to put a site up for me and they registered the domain name in their own name. I had no end of trouble trying to get ownership of the domain when I decided to change hosts.

If your web expert sent you an invoice for payment of the domain registration and you have evidence that you paid it or there is a trademark infringement you may be able to claim the domain name.

.auDA has more information here: http://www.auda.org.au/audrp/audrp-overview/

Here are a couple of articles with more info:

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/767301

http://www.actuateip.com.au/page/Services/IP_Litigation___Dispute_Resolution/Domain_Name_Disputes/

T J Madigan
    Up
    Indo, post: 112919 wrote:
    I asked a ‘web expert’ to put a site up for me and they registered the domain name in their own name. I had no end of trouble trying to get ownership of the domain when I decided to change hosts.

If your web expert sent you an invoice for payment of the domain registration and you have evidence that you paid it or there is a trademark infringement you may be able to claim the domain name.

.auDA has more information here: http://www.auda.org.au/audrp/audrp-overview/

Here are a couple of articles with more info:

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/767301

http://www.actuateip.com.au/page/Services/IP_Litigation___Dispute_Resolution/Domain_Name_Disputes/

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    To me… Something as simple as asking, or even offering a discount or monthly payment to have a link on the clients site would be a much more ethical approach..LOL.

Been called many things but unethical for putting a link in the footer is not one.

Our practice is to put the link there, then remove it on request.

You know, it’s never been an issue…

Come to think of, almost every product in my house has some sort of brand on it. Unethical I guess.

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    To me… Something as simple as asking, or even offering a discount or monthly payment to have a link on the clients site would be a much more ethical approach..LOL.

Been called many things but unethical for putting a link in the footer is not one.

Our practice is to put the link there, then remove it on request.

You know, it’s never been an issue…

Come to think of, almost every product in my house has some sort of brand on it. Unethical I guess.

Indo
    Up
    MatthewKeath, post: 112938 wrote:

I’d almost made up my mind but this is a very valid point.
    You’re not helping! :confused:

Indo
    Up

I’d almost made up my mind but this is a very valid point.
    You’re not helping! :confused:

T J Madigan
    Up
    LOL.

That’s good Matthew. I did not call you unethical so please don’t read more into it than what’s there.

I said “A more ethical approach would be…” Perhaps I should have said “A more open approach would be…”

On a lighter note…
    Let me know when you want some business cards or stationary printed, or a new sign out the front of your office, as I would love to do them for you and have my name and contact details on them. :)

T J Madigan
    Up
    LOL.

That’s good Matthew. I did not call you unethical so please don’t read more into it than what’s there.

I said “A more ethical approach would be…” Perhaps I should have said “A more open approach would be…”

On a lighter note…
    Let me know when you want some business cards or stationary printed, or a new sign out the front of your office, as I would love to do them for you and have my name and contact details on them. :)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 83 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.