Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Slideshow yes or no and what message

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    heftzwecke
    • Total posts: 213
    Up
    ::

I am not happy with my slideshow the quality of images and they are too diverse:
    https://mountainherbs.net/
    My first thought was that maybe it should look a bit more than this example:
    https://themes.shopify.com/themes/canopy/styles/kiln/preview
    The pictures have all the same colour and it looks pretty cool to me.
    But then what would the message/s in a slide show be?
    I read a bit around and most people suggested a slideshow is not a good idea, because of SEO, loading speed etc.
    What so you think?
    Otherwise I probably put the image gallery (a different one) on the top with clickable images like ‘collections’, ‘this months special’, ‘blog’ etc.

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,339
    Up

As a rule, I am not in love with slideshows – yes for SEO but also because they can detract from your message eg you are reading the caption and the next slide comes. Also, generally, you want people to start scrolling down.

Your site is fast so it probably doesn’t matter too much from an SEO point of view so now decide what you want people to do on your site.

Cheers

heftzwecke
    Up

I changed it a bit the slideshow has now one single slide:

https://mountainherbs.net/
    I threw some text out too, and like it more. What do you think?

sam_leader
    • Total posts: 660
    Up

Columnist Ingrid Moyle recently had something to say on the topic of sliders… not the way to go in her view.

Corey
    • Total posts: 568
    Up

In my honest opinion, I feel the photo’s are too large & not of high quality.

Cheers
    Corey

Joli
    Participant
    • Total posts: 39
    Up

Slightly unrelated to your slideshow question…

Your tabs are a dark green khaki colour. I think they’d stand out more and be more inviting if they were a brighter, contrasting colour (like the orange that appears on the other website you shared).

heftzwecke
    Up

True, I like more like it is now, but probably that would lead to more clicks!

John Romaine
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,108
    Up

Get rid of it and get your products up higher on the page.

Slideshows are nothing more than wank factor.

heftzwecke
    Up

The slide show is already gone. John are you talking about the big picture with the coltsfoot? I wanted to have the clickable gallery further up what I did, partly because of this “month’s special”. There are always plants I have too much of, Tibetan gentian or geum Canadense …really!

John Romaine
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,108
    Up

I have no idea what Coltsfoot is but Ill take your word for it ;0)

Always best to just have your products right in front of the customer when they land on your site – OR, at least the product categories.

I too often see sites where 70% of the screen is filled with nonsense and the products are shoved down the bottom like an afterthought.

Good luck with it

El Arish Tropical Exotics
    • Total posts: 227
    Up

I think John makes a really good point. There is a certain website style “In” right now that is more evocative of lifestyle and branding that doesn’t convey much nuts and bolts information.

I think your site is really beautiful and really evocative of an earthy garden, I love the look of it but… My main clients are older people or younger people with short attention spans on a mobile device. If your gardening customers are like mine your blog, contact us and about us can sit below somewhere so your products are more prominent.

I really like that you’ve started to flesh out your plant profiles with growing information. Good for SEO, even better for customers :)

Ann

heftzwecke
    Up

good points, it will wait until the next rainy day though…I still wonder how you do your postage, your prices are very reasonable and your postage is not expensive so it probably exceeds most of the parcels. Stuff grows MUCH faste in the tropics though.

El Arish Tropical Exotics
    • Total posts: 227
    Up
    heftzwecke, post: 252889, member: 88078 wrote:
    good points, it will wait until the next rainy day though…I still wonder how you do your postage, your prices are very reasonable and your postage is not expensive so it probably exceeds most of the parcels. Stuff grows MUCH faste in the tropics though.
    So do the weeds! I get close to four metres of rain a year, and work in 80% humidity in summer, it’s not easy living. And being in FNQ my postage is more expensive than businesses more centrally located on the East Coast.

We subsidize postage on larger orders. You have to keep in mind that packing materials and boxes cost money as well as postage. Recently we took a big hit on that as we’ve decided to not use recycled banana boxes anymore for biosecurity reasons. We’ve kept it cheap enough to order a couple of plants but a it’s a bargain when you order more.

Psychologically no one wants to pay as much in postage as they do for the plants, it’s a bit of a turnoff.

Seems to work for us.

Ann

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.