Home – New Forums Other discussions Slow page loads due to ads

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Dardee
    • Total posts: 430
    Up
    ::

Is anyone else finding the time it takes to load a page frustrating. The main part of the page loads, then it loads some of the ads, then has another go. Its really frustrating me. It was not like this before but has been really annoying me of late.

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

It’s been happening to me too lately and I’m on a fast internet (ethernet) download with loads of ram.
    (Mac/Firefox)

Only affects FS.

Melinda B
    • Total posts: 349
    Up

Same here. Everything slows as soon as I open FS. It’s not a huge deal, just annoying. Since FS is free I can live with the fact that they’re advertising and the resulting slow-down.

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

do you mean just on FS or it affects your other computers operation/sother browser windows as well?

Dardee
    • Total posts: 430
    Up

Re: SlowJust FS page loads due to ads

Just FS.

Peter – FS Administrator
    • Total posts: 1,889
    Up
    Dardee, post: 42508 wrote:
    Is anyone else finding the time it takes to load a page frustrating. The main part of the page loads, then it loads some of the ads, then has another go. Its really frustrating me. It was not like this before but has been really annoying me of late.

Hi Dardee and all,
    Thanks a lot for reporting this. As far as I’m aware nothing should have changed regarding the banner advertising display/speed etc with the new site. It’s the same code and the same number of ad spots that we’ve had for a couple of years. I’ll need to check with our tech support and get back to you with more.
    Cheers,
    Peter

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

It could be due to flash ads. Better to use static or at worst animated .gif

It is important to keep extraneous stuff to a minimum

Melinda B
    • Total posts: 349
    Up

And FS just crashed my shockwave player plugin….. using Chrome if that makes any difference.

Trish FCA
    • Total posts: 235
    Up

I’m using IE here at my “old” job and it freezes on certain ads that flash up. I have to go into task manager to unfreeze the screen.

This doesn’t happen to me at home when I’m using Mozilla.

I’ve tried the usual stuff of cleaning out cookies etc.

Cheers,

Trish.

Peter – FS Administrator
    Up

Thanks guys and soorry :(
    We’re still looking into the site code and ad code/format to see what the problem could be.
    Cheers,
    peter

Peter – FS Administrator
    Up

Hi all,
    We’ve reviewed the code and since the new site launched we’ve implemented ‘polite loading’, which just means that we set all the main page content to load first and then the ads as the last. So when waiting for the page to load the ads will show up as the final element to download which gives the appearance that they are slowing things down. We’ll keep looking at performance/speed in the meantime to see if we can improve.
    Cheers
    Peter

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.