Home – New Forums Tech talk Slow website … server or site?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    IronMaiden
    • Total posts: 125
    Up
    ::

I’m feeling a little frustrated. I haven’t done anything different to my website but it has gradually been getting slower over the last few months. I’ve noticed that over the last 8 weeks or so there have been a number of times it has gone down for a few minutes or more. The website is hosted on a shared server, as it has been since 2012, so I can’t pin down what’s going on. My suspicion is that perhaps the other site its being shared with is using resources but as I’m a non techie I have not idea if that’s the case or not.

I contacted the host this evening and asked them to investigate as my CPU usage was only 28%. I think the response I got is a canned reply …
    “The Resource Statics you are seeing are specifically for your account so actions by other accounts have no impact on your resources. This can either be caused by an update which introduced a bug or inefficient task which is causing higher usage or Growth in the amount of visitors that are accessing the page.
    A developer can optimise your site if it is not already optimised which may increase the functionality of your site by reducing its resource usage. Changes such as optimising image sizes and formats, Implementing a caching plugin such as w3 total cache or setting up a CDN in front of your website will all provide a positive change to your resource usage.
    Optionally plans such as the Managed WordPress plan have a higher resource allocation per account which are designed for sites with higher resource requirements than the Standard Web Hosting plans.”

If the person who replied had bothered to check my site, he would have seen that Cloudfare (CDN) is on. The images on the two most popular pages aren’t huge and even after installing WP Total Cache, the speed is poor. In fact while trying to test it I got a 524 error (indicating the origin server was possibly overloaded). The plan I’m on has 10GB SSD storage, 100GB monthly data transfer. My website uses under 2GB of data a month and is only 1.25GB. I’m wondering if I’m being squeezed into paying for a higher plan, e.g. WordPress Hosting? Is it time to change hosts? Suggestions/help would be much appreciated.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up

If it’s intermittent, then yes it’s probably your hosting.

I just had a look at this page at random:
    http://www.farmweld.com.au/heritage-style-country-gates/
    and used
    https://tools.pingdom.com
    to see what was happening.

0.5 seconds to look up the DNS details
    0.5 seconds for the server to render the site and start serving it
    3.5 seconds for all the images/fonts/css/javascript etc. to download.

Not great, but not awful either. I’m assuming I’m ‘out of hours’ so this is as good as it gets.

If I was asked to clean up the site, I’d be looking at the DNS lookup time and why your resources are relatively slow to download.
    The answer is probably in the number of 3rd party integrations and your own resource files.

You’re using the Roboto font (1 second to download)
    You’re using scripts from Sumo.com (about another 1 second)
    You’re also downloading resources from wp.com, Google maps, and Facebook.
    These are downloaded concurrently, so it’s not as bad as it first sounds, but it would be better if you can serve the files from your own server if possible, or not use them (e.g. the font)

None of your scripts are combined. At a glance my browser is having to download 45 separate javascript scripts and 25 css scripts.
    If you can combine as many of these into 2 bigger minimised files, it’s much faster. (Your browser spends time looking up each of these resources, so just 2 lookups vs 70 odd will be faster)
    Also you’re using a lot of scripts, pingdom says about 1Mb of the page size is javascript. (out of 2Mb). Ideally it would be much smaller. Are all the scripts minimised?

But, again it does sound like your hosting is an issue.
    I’ve had to move my own website in the past for this exact thing. (Actually I complained loudly enough for them to move me to a different shared server)

IronMaiden
    Up

Thanks John for the advice. As a novice I have absolutely no idea how to do any of that nor who to go to, to fix it! I have no idea where to find the scripts let alone how to combine and minimise them. :(

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up
    IronMaiden, post: 245735, member: 17814 wrote:
    Thanks John for the advice. As a novice I have absolutely no idea how to do any of that nor who to go to, to fix it! I have no idea where to find the scripts let alone how to combine and minimise them. :(

You should be able to do it with W3C Total Cache, which you said you installed
    Try one of the online tutorials.
    e.g. http://www.findurlaptop.com/tech/2013/12/07/how-to-combine-js-and-css-files-with-w3-total-cache-plugin/

Be warned that these automated plugins can be hit or miss, so test and test again because it may break your site.

John Romaine
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,108
    Up

Are you hosting with DC West?

How much are you paying per month?

IronMaiden
    Up
    John Romaine, post: 245745, member: 39536 wrote:
    Are you hosting with DC West?
    How much are you paying per month?

NetOrigin basic package. Never heard of DC West.

Sparrow-Sean
    • Total posts: 26
    Up
    IronMaiden, post: 245747, member: 17814 wrote:
    NetOrigin basic package. Never heard of DC West.

It is because of this:
    https://ipinfo.io/AS38716/163.53.229.0/24

The server your site is hosted on under the above IP address is located in the DC West Datacentre.

Little complex if you don’t understand, though, the site loads fine for me presently.

IronMaiden
    Up

I bit the bullet as I couldn’t afford the site being so slow and going down intermittently. The CPU usage was nearing 100% at times. I’ve upgraded to a hosted wordpress package, whether it pays off I’m yet to see. It’s made a very minor change to speed. Sean I’m not quite sure what you’re getting at? Why would where the server is hosted have anything to do with it?

Sparrow-Sean
    • Total posts: 26
    Up
    IronMaiden, post: 245779, member: 17814 wrote:
    I bit the bullet as I couldn’t afford the site being so slow and going down intermittently. The CPU usage was nearing 100% at times. I’ve upgraded to a hosted wordpress package, whether it pays off I’m yet to see. It’s made a very minor change to speed. Sean I’m not quite sure what you’re getting at? Why would where the server is hosted have anything to do with it?

If you had a website in the US for example and you lived in Australia then latency comes to effect, I am not sure why the last poster questioned about the datacentre itself, though I’d say it’s probably based on the cost aspect as they’re expensive.

Though in saying that since you’re living in Australia any datacentre is going to be relatively close capital city wise so the latency is going to be very short in comparison to an international server.

I have a server with ServInt in LA and even though it’s fast, someone living closer to it in LA as compared to be living in Melbourne would more than likely see a quicker load time than I would because it’s based on location and latency.

See how you go with the upgrade it may help, I mean it loads as I said without delay on this end.

Mischelle
    • Total posts: 805
    Up

Hi,

I just went on and it seems to be pretty fast, except I went back on a few minutes ago and got an error 1016, but it’s gone now :) (I screen captured for you for reference)

To explain the server: You have purchased a hosting package off Net Origin, but they either lease or house their servers at DC West Datacentre. That is what the guys are saying. Net Origin is a hosting provider, but does not have their own datacentre (this is very common).

AND as Sean said, the further away the data centre is from your target market, the longer the site will take to load. IE Sydney server to Sydney customer = faster LA Server to Sydney Customer = tiny bit slower We aren’t talking massive times.

Like I said the speed seems OK to me from a customer point of view, the guys are helping you from a technical point of view.

Cheers
    Mischelle :):):)

ivyworld
    • Total posts: 16
    Up

Can someone explain what does ‘flexible hosting solutions’ mean? What does it include?

Thank you! :)

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up
    ivyworld, post: 246175, member: 94626 wrote:
    Can someone explain what does ‘flexible hosting solutions’ mean? What does it include?

It normally means they have different types of hosting and plans to suit most people and customers can swap between them.

ivyworld
    • Total posts: 16
    Up

Thank you!

John Debrincat
    • Total posts: 963
    Up
    ivyworld, post: 246175, member: 94626 wrote:

Its marketing 101 that means “we couldn’t think what else to write here”.

….tongue in cheek.

John

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.