Home – New Forums Starting your journey Small Business in North Queensland

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Stace.Fear
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    ::

Hi my name is Stacey,

l have had this idea for a while now and am really wanting to pursue it over the next 12 months. l just need to build the confidence a bit more. So please give me all type of feed back, I would be forever grateful!!

I want to open a small business whether starting from home then to a store in Townsville to sell medical uniforms such as scrubs (plan, paediatric, colourful, logo’s on them, etc), medical shoes, medical gowns/coats. This idea appeals to me so much as there is a big hospital here, lots of dental practices and medical clinics. Working as a dental assistant myself I have often waited a month to receive scrubs and I always thought how great it would be if I could go to a uniform shop here and just buy them.

I have a dual diploma in business management so I know what I need to do to run a business and l’m a qualified dental assistant. if you have any thoughts on what start up processes would be effective for this type of small business please let me know.

Thanks!!!

Stacey

Simply Money Honey
    • Total posts: 78
    Up

Hi Stacey

Congratulations on your new business idea, it sounds great.

Your question is a little broad, perhaps you could think of some specific questions you have about starting your business.

One of the first things you will need to do is write your business plan, your business plan should include:
    1. Business goals
    2. Marketing plan (How will people find out about your business?)
    3. Operations plan (Where will you sell from? Will people collect their uniforms or will you ship them? Where will you buy your stock from? Store your stock? etc)
    4. Financial model (How will you make money? What markup will you put on the stock? Will you be cheaper or more expensive than competitors? What expenses will you have?)
    5. Industry and competitor research (Who else is selling these things? What is your point of difference? How big is your potential market?)

You will also need to consider the legal and admin of setting up a business e.g. your business structure, insurance, your business name, registrations for ABN, Tax File Number, GST etc.

Hope this has given you a few things to think about.

Regards

Gabrielle

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Stacey,

Good on you for looking into a niche market.

Gabrielle has kicked things off with some great questions for you to consider (thanks Gabrielle :)).

As part of your planning, I recommend that you also do some research into how your potential target market purchase their scrubs etc now. I could be wrong, but I suspect some hospitals will have existing supplier contracts in place, and may not be able to switch their purchasing to another supplier easily.

The smaller businesses might be more viable clients for you, but I think it would be wise to do some market research with them too. Perhaps start by having a conversation with your boss about your idea.

Good luck with it all, and I hope you’re enjoying being part of Flying Solo :)
    Jayne

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.