Home – New Forums Tech talk Small Business looking for what software to use

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Moving wine
    • Total posts: 3
    Up
    ::

Hi there! I am starting a new business as a wine merchant. I would like to know what software would be best.I need to be able to invoice, order entry and collect a data base. Thankyou for your help and time.

akagrp
    • Total posts: 315
    Up

Hello

Will you be requiring inventory control at all?

What is your budget?
    How adverse are you with bookkeeping procedures?
    Do you wish to have access to system on the run, eg Iphone, Laptop, while interstate etc

Watotech
    • Total posts: 22
    Up

Quick books does all this and has the wine tax built in. If you need it on the go there is now an online version which costs around $300 per year

Arnold Shields
    • Total posts: 58
    Up

My recommendation is a combination of services that all integrate with each other – Xero, Unleashed, Capsule CRM, Mailchimp and WordPress and make a very powerful small business system.

Xero – online accounting package with automated bank feeds, Paypal integration for invoice payments and the ability for your accountant to analyse your accounts in real time. Xero does not have an inventory function but a service called Unleashed.com provides the inventory functionality that integrates with Xero.

Capsule CRM – Customer Relationship Management database of your current and potential clients, stores details of your communications with those contacts and allows you to sort those contacts into areas of interest. Capsule CRM integrates with Xero reduces administration time and ensuring that your customer databases are synchronised.

Mailchimp – Email service provider that sends your email newsletters, updates and special offers. Integrates with Capsule CRM.

WordPress – Your website – which can also be an ecommerce site. Integrates with Mailchimp and Capsule CRM. Your website should be finding potential customers and informing your current customers and converting them to new leads or customers.

This is the setup that we are recommending to our clients.

The combination when used properly makes a very powerful business system for a very low cost, automating a number of administrative and marketing functions that prevent businesses from achieving their potential.

Hope this helps. Please contact me if you have any questions.

Rhys
    • Total posts: 325
    Up

Hi,

Despite being a Xero dealer and a huge fan of both Xero and the many wonderful addons (and the spookily simple way they integrate) I have to disagree with Arnold on this one, for two reasons.

Firstly if as you say you are just setting up a new business the task of rolling out 5 separate pieces of software simultaneously is likely to absorb too much of your time and effectively prevent you focusing adequately on other equally important issues. Please don’t get me wrong, putting in the right systems, and doing so from the outset is critically important, but 5 at once strikes me as a very big ask indeed. in the past 6 months I have put up a new CRM, a new website and transferred my accounting to Xero – I do this for a living and it has still taken a lot of my time, and I wasn’t trying to set up a new business at the same time.

The second reason I disagree is that even though Xero is awesomely fantastic and wonderful, it is not always the right answer. So a much better approach is that taken by Anna, who asks questions: do you need inventory control (if the answer is no, Unleashed is gone, if the answer is only at a very basic level and not for a few months then that will be available within Xero soon), what is your budget (very important question), etc. I know Anna was giving examples only, but other questions such as do you anticipate employing staff, how will you warehouse your stock, what sort of transaction volume are you anticipating, and so on will help you develop your requirements. From the right list of questions you can identify your requirements, from this you can idenitfy which system or combination of systems will offer you the best solution (within your budget).

And it may be that after all that Arnold is right, you really do need that combination of 5 systems. But critical to ask the questions / identify the requirements first.

Cheers, Rhys

Carbonite Australia
    • Total posts: 118
    Up

We built our website using WordPress and our email tool is icontact. I can recommend both. If you want a free (there is a paid version) CRM tool to sit over Outlook try Xobni. Found it really easy to use.

Jake@EmroyPrint
    • Total posts: 1,117
    Up

Oooh, a wine merchant! What an absolutely fantastic business!

(Sorry, don’t know much about book keeping services ;))

– Jake

mike_allen
    • Total posts: 74
    Up

I think Quickbooks is popular with Wine Merchants. I did a job that analysed sales data from Quickbooks for a winery, the merchants were using Quickbooks. There were problems with tracking consignment sales and the 13th bottle, so you might want to look into that a little more.

victorng
    • Total posts: 626
    Up
    Arnold Shields, post: 44891 wrote:
    Capsule CRM – Customer Relationship Management database of your current and potential clients, stores details of your communications with those contacts and allows you to sort those contacts into areas of interest. Capsule CRM integrates with Xero reduces administration time and ensuring that your customer databases are synchronised.

I checked out Capsule CRM after reading your post and it looks great, thanks! It’s nice to see a simple CRM system with a simple sales pipeline feature. Will be looking into it further.

Sorry, I have nothing to contribute to answer the OP’s question …

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.