Home – New Forums Money matters small business payment systems

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    azeds
    • Total posts: 11
    Up
    ::

Hey there,
    im just curious to know about how to acquire all the different forms of payment methods.
    I have set up a paypal account, but im interested in knowing how i would be able to accept visa/master card, and other forms of payment

AgentMail
    • Total posts: 1,741
    Up

Hi Azeds,

It depends a little on the type of business you operate. For an online business, or mail order type setup, I have previously used EzyPay – http://www.ezypay.com.au/ which is a fantastic, low cost method of running both credit card and direct debit payments. No nasty setup fees or EFTPOS terminals, and simple forms for your customer to complete and sign.

Hope this helps,

Carl

John Debrincat
    • Total posts: 963
    Up
    azeds, post: 58633 wrote:
    Hey there,
    im just curious to know about how to acquire all the different forms of payment methods.
    I have set up a paypal account, but im interested in knowing how i would be able to accept visa/master card, and other forms of payment

Hi Azeds,

I am assuming you mean from a website?

You can accept Visa and MasterCard via PayPal not just payment by PayPal accounts. You need to change a setting in your PayPal merchant control panel to allow payments from non PayPal accounts.

If you want to use a payment gateway then you need to setup an Online Merchant Bank account. You will need to go speak with your bank to determine what fees apply and if there are any issues. Once you have an online merchant account then you can setup a payment gateway. There are a number of choices like eWAY, SecurePay, Payment Express and TNSI they are the 4 most popular. They will charge you a setup fee and then a monthly or transaction fee. The terms differ between providers. You will need to have a developer (or your web provider) enable the gateway on your website and you will also need an SSL certificate.

Regards

John

Beetlebox
    • Total posts: 8
    Up

Hi All, Very informative post, and a good read.

A couple of queries with respect to my situation, (if you would please indulge me): I’m starting a new business which provides a service so I don’t expect a lot of refunds (ie no returns). I’ll probably have between 60 and 200 transactions each month. I expect 75% of bookings online, and the rest on the phone.

1. Any recommendations on how to deal with payments?

2. If you need to have a merchant bank account if you use a payment service provider (like Eway), then why not just use the bank’s gateway. That is, whats the benefit of using a 3rd party provider for the gateway? What are the cost considerations (differences)?

3. If you are going for a professional looking business (ie not a hobby shop), does Paypal scream “bush league” (do you use the term “bush league” in Australia?) :)

4. Google Checkout, any thoughts?
    Thanks!

John Debrincat
    Up
    bluetooth, post: 100755 wrote:
    4. Google Checkout, any thoughts?
    Thanks!

The answer to this one is that Google Checkout is not available for Australia. So if the business is for Australia the answer is no.

Following are the other answers from your post on Whirlpool – whrl.pl/Rc15HH

I’m starting a new business which provides a service so I don’t expect a lot of refunds (ie no returns).

If you are accepting payment in advance for the booking or a deposit then I think you will find that banks will have a different view on this to you. I suspect that they will actually see a higher risk of no-shows or refund requests. So you should check this and if you have an existing trading history it might help but as you are starting a new business you will need a business plan for the banks.

1. Any recommendations on how to deal with payments?

In most service situations it is acceptable to ask for a deposit online and final payment on delivery. It is not that usual to get all the money upfront unless it is accommodation or air travel. So basically it depends what the service is.

then why not just use the bank’s gateway.

Of course you can it comes down to a couple of factors:

1. What gateways does the solution that you use support.
    2. It is our experience that 3rd party gateways like eWay, Payment Express etc provide a better level of customer support and the admin system they provide is far better than any of the banks.
    3. Some like eWay provide additional anti-fraud online

What are the cost considerations (differences)?

Not a great deal of difference really when you analyse it. You will pay a fee for your online merchant account and you will pay a transaction merchant fee negotiated with the bank somewhere between 1% – 2% / trans. The gateway will charge a setup cost sometimes waived + transaction fee around 0.20c – 0.50c depends on the gateway and volume. You may also pay a annual fee but again sometimes you can avoid that based on volume.

3. If you are going for a professional looking business (ie not a hobby shop), does Paypal scream “bush league”

Sure we use ‘bush league’ here as well. Anyway PayPal is used by most large retailers and handles around 50% of online payments in Australia. They have over 2.5 million account holders here as well. So if used in conjunction with other payment methods they can enhance your professionalism and appeal to customers.

Merry Christmas

John

UberCable
    • Total posts: 28
    Up

The Google Checkout thing is annoying. Every few months I re-check to see if it’s available in Australia, to no avail. I’m not sure why it still isn’t available — Australia is a decent-sized market.

Phillip P
    • Total posts: 254
    Up
    UberCable, post: 100760 wrote:
    The Google Checkout thing is annoying. Every few months I re-check to see if it’s available in Australia, to no avail. I’m not sure why it still isn’t available — Australia is a decent-sized market.

It actually isnt yet… but thats ok let them get all the bugs out and we will have it when its awesome :)

For this post i would never use a banks system directory every again as lack of support lack of api and nightmare if something goes wrong.

Eway and the likes already have an API to most of the banks through securepay platform and can be added to nearly any website without costing you an arm and a leg.

Shaukat Adam Khalid
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,528
    Up

Start with paypal. in a year or so, look to other options. Invest most of your time on sales, marketing and creating a sustainable business.

You’ll be grateful in a couple of years when you realise that most of your competition have folded or about to.

John Debrincat
    Up

Following is a link to the PowerPoint slides from the Payment Systems section of the Online Retailer Workshops at OR 2011 hope you find them useful – tinyurl.com/OR2011WS-Payments

John

John Debrincat
    Up
    hymstrategies, post: 100766 wrote:
    Start with paypal. in a year or so, look to other options. Invest most of your time on sales, marketing and creating a sustainable business.

How to collect payments is a very strategic issue and is a core part of sales, marketing and creating a sustainable business. Too often we see new customers who have not thought through the very important issues of payment and shipping. Both of these are a key part of your unique selling proposition and competitive advantage. If done correctly they can help your online business be sustainable and profitable.

Unfortunately on the other hand there are many people that advise throwing money at marketing and SEO before the very basics are right. PayPal may be a good starting point and then again maybe it is not. But don’t be fooled getting the core business issues right is essential.

John

Phillip P
    • Total posts: 254
    Up

John i totally agree with your comment here…

Its ultra important to follow not only how people buy on your website but follow them through the whole process and see why they abandon the cart and certain stages and make changes to the site, payment, cart etc.

If they cant and wont buy its a massive problem and better to sort it while early… but i do admit you do need traffic to get the figures and what works the best.

John Debrincat, post: 100769 wrote:
    How to collect payments is a very strategic issue and is a core part of sales, marketing and creating a sustainable business. Too often we see new customers who have not thought through the very important issues of payment and shipping. Both of these are a key part of your unique selling proposition and competitive advantage. If done correctly they can help your online business be sustainable and profitable.

Unfortunately on the other hand there are many people that advise throwing money at marketing and SEO before the very basics are right. PayPal may be a good starting point and then again maybe it is not. But don’t be fooled getting the core business issues right is essential.

John

wizseoservicesaustralia
    • Total posts: 59
    Up

Use 2 Check Out. https://www.2checkout.com/. Very is to configure and manage, no technical knowledge is required. Reporting is too good, also it accept every kind of payment method.

John Debrincat
    Up
    wizseoservicesaustralia, post: 100838 wrote:
    Use 2 Check Out. https://www.2checkout.com/. Very is to configure and manage, no technical knowledge is required. Reporting is too good, also it accept every kind of payment method.

I would not recommend them as they are twice the cost of PayPal and have no Australia support or Financial Services Licence. Their rate is 5.5% + 0.45c (USD) / transaction. If you are doing business in Australia always look for a payment provider that will be supported here. If the payment provider is holding your money they are acting like a bank and should have an Australian Financial Services licence (AFSL). Most payment gateways do not actually hold your money at any point and act as a processor. But services like PayPal (has an AFSL), Google Checkout (not in Aust) and 2Checkout (no AFSL) hold your money for a period of time and then transfer to your bank. Companies with an AFSL have to conform to certain regulations in Australia and we have one of the safest banking systems in the world.

Beetlebox
    Up

Thanks John for your detailed answer – I’ve (tried) to insert some comments , lets see if it works…

John Debrincat, post: 100759 wrote:
    The answer to this one is that Google Checkout is not available for Australia. So if the business is for Australia the answer is no.

Following are the other answers from your post on Whirlpool – whrl.pl/Rc15HH

Thanks for noticing! I’m sure you can appreceiate the value of a parallel run to test out Flyingsolo.com…

If you are accepting payment in advance for the booking or a deposit then I think you will find that banks will have a different view on this to you. I suspect that they will actually see a higher risk of no-shows or refund requests. So you should check this and if you have an existing trading history it might help but as you are starting a new business you will need a business plan for the banks.

In most service situations it is acceptable to ask for a deposit online and final payment on delivery. It is not that usual to get all the money upfront unless it is accommodation or air travel. So basically it depends what the service is.

Of course you can it comes down to a couple of factors:

1. What gateways does the solution that you use support.
    2. It is our experience that 3rd party gateways like eWay, Payment Express etc provide a better level of customer support and the admin system they provide is far better than any of the banks.
    3. Some like eWay provide additional anti-fraud online

Point number 2 would sum up the raison d’etre of the 3P gateways, I imagine. Not hard to beat the banks at customer service mind you…

Not a great deal of difference really when you analyse it. You will pay a fee for your online merchant account and you will pay a transaction merchant fee negotiated with the bank somewhere between 1% – 2% / trans. The gateway will charge a setup cost sometimes waived + transaction fee around 0.20c – 0.50c depends on the gateway and volume. You may also pay a annual fee but again sometimes you can avoid that based on volume.

Sure we use ‘bush league’ here as well. Anyway PayPal is used by most large retailers and handles around 50% of online payments in Australia. They have over 2.5 million account holders here as well. So if used in conjunction with other payment methods they can enhance your professionalism and appeal to customers.

I had heard that statistic before, but qualified with most of those payments are made on ebay. That said, Paypal has come a long way, and I know that you can use the system with a credit card even if you dont have a paypal account, which was a major sticking point for them in the past.
    Merry Christmas
    Back at cha!
    John

Beetlebox
    Up

@Phillip P
    Thanks for the input.
    What does API mean? (i know, noob question).

I agree with you that its important to have some analytics on your site to track when people drop out of the buying process, and think about why, and how to address it etc. I have put Goog Analytics on the site in general, and I’m trying to get it working properly. (Site is only about 3 days old mind you, and its VERY basic so far. We shall see once i have few visitors. Want to be among the first?
    beetlebox.com.au

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • The topic ‘small business payment systems’ is closed to new replies.