Home – New Forums Money matters Small business tax deduction question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Toki25
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone. I have a question regarding what I can claim as a deduction for my photography business. I was given money from a family member to help pay for startup costs – mostly for equipment and insurance to the value of about 20K. Am I able to claim this on my tax return if this was purchased with money loaned to me by family?

Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,566
    Up

Welcome to the forums [USER=116468]@Toki25[/USER]!

I’m pretty sure you can claim it. An expense is an expense even when the money is borrowed. But hopefully one of our tax experts can clarify or explain it better. :)

Dave

James Millar
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,739
    Up

Yes. If the money was yours (whether gifted to you or lent to you) and with that money you acquired business assets then subject to the tax depreciation regulations you can claim part or potentially all of those items. If you are registered for GST and if you paid GST when acquiring those items then you may also be eligible to claim back those GST credits.

Helping build better businesses and better lives with expert financial and taxation advice. [email protected] www.360partners.com.au 03 9005 4900
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.