Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Smart numbers (1300 etc….) for small local business…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Ed27
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    ::

Hi folks – long time lurker , first time poster.

I have been swaying all over the place for months on this issue and have decided to ask for some opinion :)

I have a really memorable , relevant smart number related to my business that I can pick up for cheap but there is divided opinion on whether this would be a “smart” thing to do.

Pros:

– adds credibility to the business
    – very memorable addition to advertising – even if people move on or toss a flyer in the bin they will remember it

Cons:

– it brings to mind a faceless national franchise with call centres etc….which we are not
    – cost

I really cannot decide. I guess I could use a local number on a website/directories but use the 1300 on brochures/ads but I also don’t want to create confusion.

I feel like this could be a great bang-for-buck investment but am concerned about losing the “local business” identity.

Any thoughts appreciated

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    Ed27, post: 266059, member: 114425 wrote:
    Pros:

– very memorable addition to advertising – even if people move on or toss a flyer in the bin they will remember it

– adds credibility to the business – Does it really, it just shows that you can afford to pay for a number, credibility doesnt come from a phone number.

– very memorable addition to advertising – even if people move on or toss a flyer in the bin they will remember it – Ah yes but there is a big assumption that people actually get as far as reading the phone number before tossing the flyer.

Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,566
    Up

Hi [USER=114425]@Ed27[/USER]

I would echo Bert’s thoughts. The Cons you’ve listed are real, but the Pros are a bit more wishful thinking. But the format of your phone number won’t make or break you either way – if a customer needs to guess your size/credibility/localness from your phone number format then you’ve neglected to communicate it in more direct ways.

Don’t let it hold you up :)
    Dave

RunicConvenience
    • Total posts: 186
    Up

personally those numbers for me do little for my ability to contact or do business with a company.

I don’t know if you plan to but I hate having to translate 1300 “dignow” kind of numbers back to an actual number. I can call.

it won’t be something memoriable to me as I am more likely to remember your URL than your phone number or your name personally. (if it is relevent to me obviously if it is something that comes in my junk mail. it won’t even be read)

I am fine with calling or speaking to end users but I hate wasting my time speaking to other people so if I am going to do anything it is by email, text over any voice options (really dislike talking. odd though I talk to hundred of customers over the phone but that is all scripted.)

arrowwise
    • Total posts: 641
    Up

Those numbers are simply a fuzzy icing on top feeling on top of your existing marketing, but don’t expect them to automatically do wonders or increase conversions beyond a more regular number. Most people have unlimited call plans, so free call 1800 numbers ain’t that cool anymore either :)

Ed27
    Up

Thanks for the replies guys – my sounding out of friends/family and marketing gurus has been 50/50 split down the middle. Opinons range from awesome to waste of money.

I might leave it at the moment.

The main driver for me was the memory trigger………..I know I would remember 1300 VIO LIN for a local violin teacher far longer than I would recall their business name . If it helped get one more student it pays for itself………..and yes I am in music teaching.

Cheers guys……..I have managed to get myself into the Google “snack pack” for most of the areas I am interested in even before we are properly up and running and that’s far more important in the scheme of things.

Correct Inspections
    • Total posts: 1
    Up

First post… very exciting!

Hi Ed27,
    If your business is a local one, many potential customers will be searching for “music teacher near me”, because they don’t necessarily want to travel 2 hours for a music lesson (unless you’re that amazing!), and having a local number will give credibility to the business being local, which is what they are looking for.

Whereas businesses that service many areas/regions/states will be better served with a 1300/1800 number, so a potential customer doesn’t pigeon-hole them as a “Sydney” business, or a “somewhere else” business.

I hope that add some value to the discussion!
    Cheers, Brett

WPFella
    Up
    Ed27, post: 266059, member: 114425 wrote:
    Hi folks – long time lurker , first time poster.

I have been swaying all over the place for months on this issue and have decided to ask for some opinion :)

I have a really memorable , relevant smart number related to my business that I can pick up for cheap but there is divided opinion on whether this would be a “smart” thing to do.

Pros:

Cons:

– it brings to mind a faceless national franchise with call centres etc….which we are not
    – cost

I really cannot decide. I guess I could use a local number on a website/directories but use the 1300 on brochures/ads but I also don’t want to create confusion.

I feel like this could be a great bang-for-buck investment but am concerned about losing the “local business” identity.

Any thoughts appreciated
    Without a doubt – USE SMART NUMBER. I do not believe there are any disadvantage such as losing a feel of local business. NO WAY. BE SMART…TAKE IT AND USE IT. Everywhere. On all MARKETING PLATFORMS. “LOCAL OR GLOBAL – USING SMART NUMBER IS NOBEL”

Stephen Forde
    • Total posts: 53
    Up

Waste of money for the most part. I pay anywhere from $60-$120 pm for mine and sometimes more.

On the pro side, if it rings out it is diverted to a call centre representing the company. You can also save costs by having 1 line and it diverting when it’s busy.

Google has always preferred local numbers when ranking in maps too

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.