Home – New Forums Logistics Snack Food – Getting it on the Shelves

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    tommy
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    ::

Hi Everyone,

I’m new to these forums, but have been reading for a few weeks now and loving the community here. Was hoping I could ask for some advice…

My wife and I are looking to start up a company importing a snack food (similar to chips) from overseas and marketing/selling it here in Australia.

We have some questions which we would appreciate any assistance with:

1. Ideally we would love to see this product on the shelf at Coles or Woolies. How would we go about trying to get a product like this onto the shelves at coles, Woolies? In fact any suggestions for marketing/selling this product would be helpful.

2. Do you think there is any advantage in importing and packing here locally in Australia (Just more cost)?? rather than having our supplier do it all for us?

We appreciate any advice from anyone who has experience in this area.

Thanks in Advance.

Tommy

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

Hi’
    Basically the best way is to ring em up and by explaining what you have you will soon get put through to the right person.
    Or go through an established distributor.

Either way, be prepared to learn just how low your sell prices will need to be, as they have huge markups, plus how hard it will be to get shelf-space. Often this is sold.

I have another option for you. PM me and I will pass on contact details for a person who may have a better option

Jake@EmroyPrint
    • Total posts: 1,117
    Up

Hi Tommy,

First of all, welcome to the forums =)

Secondly, ambitious goals you have there! I’m sure it’s possible and as King said, you just need to speak to the right person.

You may be surprised how empathetic some people can be and if you explain your situation and are passionate about your product – You may get some answers directly from Coles / Woolworths.

Are you prepared financially for the incredibly low margin you will receiving though?

– Jake

tommy
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Hi Jake,

Thanks for the Welcome :-)

To be honest, we’re only in concept stage at the moment so looking for advice.
    I’ve heard Low, Low Low Margins many times now, and it is daunting – So we’ll be seriously doing some numbers before taking further steps on this…

Do you have any rough ideas on how low the margins a Coles or Woolies would be looking for on something like this?

Cheers,

Tommy.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.