Home – New Forums New here? Share your story So many ideas girl intro

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #984691
    Stay at Home Mum
    Member
    • Total posts: 5
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi all,
    I’m currently a stay at home mum to two children (2 1/2 and 7mths) and a wicked step mum to a teen.
    I love being a sahm but I also need something to keep myself, I’m always coming up with new ways I could make a little money or product ideas but I never seem to go threw with any of them because simply I don’t know where to start.

    The other night I was getting ready to pop a breast pump I had won on eBay and it was then it occurred to me that I could start my own small breast pump hire company now that I have two in my possession (my own and the one I won). So instead of letting anther idea slip away I thought I’d finally do something about it, it’s going to be a small stepping stone to something bigger.

    I’ve never owed my own business, I’ve come from the disability field so I wouldn’t know where to start.

    Help!!! Lol

    Where/how did you start?

    #1149100
    Osmond Mcleod
    Member
    • Total posts: 134
    Up
    0
    ::

    I am sure you will get better advice than this, but i would start with a few questions:

    (in no particular order)

    Who are you targeting?
    How will you reach them?
    Why should they rent rather than buy a new pump?
    How do you manage any hygiene concerns?
    What else can you offer? (Breast feeding advice? Guidelines for storing and keeping milk? Sale of storage containers?
    Who else is doing this and how can you do it better?

    THis is of particular interest to me as my wife got post natal depression with our fist child and part of the reason was the midwifes told her she should express milk. When it didnt work, she thought she was not feeding our son enough and it was a downward spiral. There was more to it than that but you get the idea

    #1149101
    Davejochow
    Member
    • Total posts: 38
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi
    I actually had trouble earlier this year with my son, finding a rental breast pump. Alot of chemists will not rent them out anymore because they believe they are unhygienic (which I think will actually benefit you because there is a huge unfilled demand). I think its fine if kept clean. I mean the hospitals have communal breast pumps and they are the most health conscious place in the world! I believe you could approach the chemists that don’t rent them out and give them information about the rental, they can refer enquires to you. I would of loved one of the chemists I contacted to have given me a name of a person that supplied a rental. Also when you leave hospital, the hospital I was in gave me a list of chemists in my area that hired out breast pumps, I lost that piece of paper :( So I had to go fork out the money for an inferior one because I was desperate, I couldn’t find a chemist that would rent to me! So ring up hospitals and ask them to put your name on the list! (BTW Im a woman the name might confuse people)

    #1149102
    Sydney Business
    Member
    • Total posts: 141
    Up
    0
    ::

    Write down all your ideas and work through strategically to come to a decision. See if there are any start up courses nearby and ask lots of questions on Flying Solo and other people you may know who are self employed.

    #1149103
    Stay at Home Mum
    Member
    • Total posts: 5
    Up
    0
    ::
    Osmond Mcleod, post: 171109 wrote:
    I am sure you will get better advice than this, but i would start with a few questions:

    (in no particular order)

    Who are you targeting?
    How will you reach them?
    Why should they rent rather than buy a new pump?
    How do you manage any hygiene concerns?
    What else can you offer? (Breast feeding advice? Guidelines for storing and keeping milk? Sale of storage containers?
    Who else is doing this and how can you do it better?

    THis is of particular interest to me as my wife got post natal depression with our fist child and part of the reason was the midwifes told her she should express milk. When it didnt work, she thought she was not feeding our son enough and it was a downward spiral. There was more to it than that but you get the idea

    Thank you so much, the questions you have given me are great and I have answers for 95% of them already :-)

    I am so sorry to hear about you wife, not all women have the ability to express but they are still able to effectively feed their child, my son (1st born) gained a lot of weight very quickly but I was never able to express much with him at all, I figured it was because he was taking it all. With my daughter I was able to express however I never quite got the opportunity to because my son is young and needs loads of attention. It saddens me that the midwives you wife encountered didn’t inform your wife that the amount that can be expressed isn’t an indication of how much the baby can draw from the breast themself, as long as the baby is gaining weight there isn’t an issue with supply.

    #1149104
    Stay at Home Mum
    Member
    • Total posts: 5
    Up
    0
    ::
    Davejochow, post: 171115 wrote:
    Hi
    I actually had trouble earlier this year with my son, finding a rental breast pump. Alot of chemists will not rent them out anymore because they believe they are unhygienic (which I think will actually benefit you because there is a huge unfilled demand). I think its fine if kept clean. I mean the hospitals have communal breast pumps and they are the most health conscious place in the world! I believe you could approach the chemists that don’t rent them out and give them information about the rental, they can refer enquires to you. I would of loved one of the chemists I contacted to have given me a name of a person that supplied a rental. Also when you leave hospital, the hospital I was in gave me a list of chemists in my area that hired out breast pumps, I lost that piece of paper :( So I had to go fork out the money for an inferior one because I was desperate, I couldn’t find a chemist that would rent to me! So ring up hospitals and ask them to put your name on the list! (BTW Im a woman the name might confuse people)

    Oh wow now I didn’t know that chemists are no longer hiring them out, they are right though, if the pump isn’t a closed system pump then there are hygiene issues. The hospitals still use open pump systems and there are some risks involved in using them (I’m sure hospitals clean them well), I’m not sure if I am able to reference here but if you google closed system breast pumps and open system breast pumps it will explain everything, in short the open system can have the ability to draw the milk up into its diaphragm and if its not cleaned out appropriately it can go mouldy which in turn can contaminate the milk. The pumps that I would like to hire out are a closed system pump :-)

    #1149105
    MatthewKeath
    Member
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    0
    ::

    Sounds like a good plan!

    I look forward to seeing your progress :)

    #1149106
    LNF
    Member
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi SAHM,

    I’m in the exact situation, I sit here breastfeeding wondering what I can do to earn a little money at home also. I’ve just recently extensively researched one idea, which has resulted in me giving up on that one, I just didn’t feel it was going to work. So my sister and I are teaming up on our next idea :) and that research has led me to here, so hopefully I can find some answers here!

    In regards to the hiring of breast pumps, which pump are you looking at hiring out? Both hospitals that I have worked at have used closed system pumps, namely the medela symphony.

    Good luck!

    #1149107
    Declutterbug
    Member
    • Total posts: 32
    Up
    0
    ::

    Single mamma to a babe gone by. All I would consider is the cost of buying one versus hiring. They aren’t ‘that’ expensive now and many mums just keep expressing for ‘convenience’ so if family members can feed then bottled breast milk is always needed… Just encourage you to ‘do the numbers’ very carefully to ensure they stack up. Good luck!

    #1149108
    Davejochow
    Member
    • Total posts: 38
    Up
    0
    ::
    Declutterbug, post: 171293 wrote:
    Single mamma to a babe gone by. All I would consider is the cost of buying one versus hiring. They aren’t ‘that’ expensive now and many mums just keep expressing for ‘convenience’ so if family members can feed then bottled breast milk is always needed… Just encourage you to ‘do the numbers’ very carefully to ensure they stack up. Good luck!

    Warning: breast feeding post
    I agree with some points you made, but I believe there will always be a demand for hiring breast pumps. The following points:
    1. When I gave birth late last year in Sydney, all the mums in the special care unit hired breast pumps because we weren’t always with our child and had to leave them at night. The nurses strongly encouraged breast milk over formula so if a child was there for 10 days it was cheaper to hire a good quality one in that 10 days than buy one. Hand pumps are useless.
    2. Many women might only need to hire them for a couple of days until they are confident their baby is fully getting enough nutrition.
    3. This is also tied in with confidence. As a first time mother I didn’t have much confidence the first couple of weeks, this helped me by knowing I had a backup.
    4. To buy a mid range one is $170 and really good one $400 vs rent $35, and the better ones can do two sides at a time, great because its annoying waiting for a half an hour for each side.
    So in conclusion its cheaper to buy long term than rent, but isn’t that true with everything, such as cars, appliances and even housing, but I dont believe that it doesnt mean they isn’t a market for it.

    #1149109
    Tony Manto
    Participant
    • Total posts: 581
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi SAHM, its not that this idea wont work its if it is cost effective. You need to purchase the pump, you need to deliver the pump, you need to pick up the pump, you need to clean the pump, you need to drop it back off and you may need to give the chemist or stockist a percentage… Do you costs… is a $35 rental enough? How much time is evolved…How much will a person spend before they decide to purchase?

    Tony Manto
    Strategy Specialist
    [email protected]
    0400 902 717

    #1149110
    MJ.Bart
    Member
    • Total posts: 43
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hey SAHM,

    I think the breast pump business your are looking into is a great idea and it seems this thread has generated plenty of interest thus far so you could be onto something.

    However, I thought it might be worth mentioning the following website http://www.quirky.com/

    It is intended for people like you and me who have lots of great product ideas. Basically once you have signed up to Quirky you can submit your product ideas, the community then decides if it’s a product they want and if it gets approved the team at Quirky turn it into a real product. From then on, you earn real cash for every sale of that product. It is only a small amount per product per sale, however if it is a popular product or you have many product ideas approved by the Quirky community you can end up making a decent bit of cash. I’m going to be trying out myself so maybe I will see you on there :)

    Good luck with your current project too :)

    Cheers,

    Michael.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.