Home – New Forums Starting your journey So what would you say to a potential newbie?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 46 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up
    ::

After reading all these beaut posts on a very difficult subject, why dont we just say………

DO IT

jonbergan
    • Total posts: 9
    Up
    robert_gerrish, post: 70 wrote:
    When everyone else is quiet and miserable, it’s a wonderful time to stand out.

Absolutely loving this and couldn’t agree more.

Now is the PERFECT time to start a business and it’s the micro/small businesses that will come out on top in times such as these.

Rgds,
    JB

Sheree
    • Total posts: 33
    Up

THINK IMAGINE BECOME

Imagine how you want it to be, see yourself as you have already achieved.

Thoughts, imagining, rehearsing causes chemical reactions in the brain to fire signals to the body to act, be, do, (neurology).

Practical application: imagining sets up a plan in mind for your body to act out what is to happen.

ACTION

So if you can imagine yourself in your business and you see yourself already successful, your brain will seek the evidence to support that.

Master small steps, experience the success and you will feel compelled to keep moving forward.

NOW IS A GREAT TIME TO TAKE THE OPPORTUNITY TO BE IN BUSINESS

Seek information that Richard Branson shares on seeing opportunity, he is an entrepreneur that has experienced multiple recessions (if you must use a label).

I ask the question, what is the purpose of the label?

The label usually only has the purpose of serving someone elses needs.

Definitely read Michael Gerber

Getting started now will be great if you have the mindset, have a marketing plan & coach, a business consultant and network for connecting and relationship building. Potential clients will be wanting to do business with YOU, the person.

DARE TO DREAM
    DARE TO BE DIFFERENT
    LIFE BY DESIGN

Share your success stories on FLYING SOLO

Sheree Montgomerie
    AttractingclientstoyourBiz

Small Business Marketing Experts
    Coach/PsychEd Consultant
    http://www.smallbusinessmarketingcd.com
    [email protected]
    (03) 9798 4361 Skype maxsuccess 1

susu
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    ic-uc, post: 412 wrote:
    Hi all,

I am one of those “newbies” that you are talking about. I have been thinking about my own business, but am a bit lost at where to start. I have started work on my business plan – so that is one good thing i presume!

everyone says to get a good accountant and lawyer, but where would you find one, if you have not used on in a business capacity before?

BTW – I am new to Australia (7.5 years ago), have no family (or friends) here, do not know any business owners and am only in the process of buying a house now. My savings will go on the deposit, so that will leave me bare. My business will require some investment <$50K, well depending on the lawyers cost!! I will also need to look at importing goods, so will need to consider this aspect. Gee I already sound like a defeatist!!!! Or is this the normal thinking pattern? I will keep an eye on this forum and see what great tips I can pick up going forward. Thanks Hello all, I’m researching info & advice on starting my new biz and came across the Flying Solo site, It’s fantastic. I love it. I’ve been looking around for hours & I’ve made lots of notes. Thank you all. A quick question – It’s been a few months now. How is ic-uc getting on?

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

I would say turn off the news and surround yourself with positive people! I don’t mean to be unrealistic in stepping out; do your research, test the waters and build your client base. Make sure there is a market for your product or service. I guess the point is to never be held back by fear. Don’t wait for when everyone says it’s ok or for the perfect moment to arrive because it never will. It will always require a leap into the unknown. I took the plunge into full time freelance work 6 months ago now and I wouldn’t change it for the world. Compared to sitting at desk for years wishing I was doing something else to finally getting to do something else… it’s all worth it!

LeelaCosgrove
    • Total posts: 634
    Up
    BeniCreative, post: 6446 wrote:
    I would say turn off the news and surround yourself with positive people!

AMEN!

I haven’t turned my TV on in almost 10 weeks. Who needs it? All of the TV, radio and paper news are biased anyway … they want you to be afraid … to buy into the whole recession thing. I’ve found that ignoring it and just doing your thing works WONDERS.

Loreden
    • Total posts: 14
    Up

I would recommend a newbie to grab a copy of E-Myth Contractor and E-Myth Revisited these two books really helped me out and got my boat sailing. :)

Shade
    • Total posts: 18
    Up

This is such a good read that I’m bumping it for other newbies.

As for this:

All of the TV, radio and paper news are biased anyway … they want you to be afraid … to buy into the whole recession thing. I’ve found that ignoring it and just doing your thing works WONDERS.

I agree. I deliberately ignore mainstream media for this reason!

But outside tv and the papers, I could not believe how many people are so quick to jump on you when you say you’re not buying into the recession or that you question a topic that appears to be all sewn up – like climate change, for example.

In addition to tv, I find that you really have to ignore the ‘believers’ as well!

:)

ColourMePurple
    • Total posts: 9
    Up

Hi Renee

I have just been reading this thread with all this great advice!! And from one of the founders of “Procrastinors Anonymous” I am torn between … “just get started” and plan so you don’t have to rebrand and redo. As “reworking” is my biggest pet hate. I am actually dreaming about operational processes whilst still in start up phase ….. maybe I need to find the elusive world of balance??
    Gill

Besides, rushing the business development stage means you’ll probably be up for a rebrand down the track, which can be both costly and confusing to your target market/clients.

The final piece of advice that at least one poster pointed out is (probably paraphrased), ‘Just get started!’ I’ve seen so many people who are so overwhelmed by what sort of web site they need, domains, web hosting, logos, etc. that they simply never go forward.

Every business is different, but I’ve found that:

passion + motivation + a great product/service = business success

Accounts Studio
    • Total posts: 516
    Up

I would say two of the most important things are to surround yourself with like minded people, those who think like an entrepreneur and who have gone down the path of self employment, and secondly, absolutely believe in whatever it is you are doing – no matter how passionate you are about your particular business you will have days where you just want to run away from it all – what gets you through those days is having total belief in the product or service you are offering. My site Space4 is not a profit making site, and has involved a huge amount of work over the past few years, but I absolutely wholeheartedly believe in the service it is offering and so that ended up being what got me through.

My other advice would be if budget is an issue, then perhaps continue to work part time or even full time whilst establishing yourself.

Oh – and if you come across obstacles – don’t give up – I learnt a long time ago that there is ALWAYS a way! You just have to find it…

bretthillcoat
    • Total posts: 24
    Up
    Devan, post: 71 wrote:
    Get a copy of Michael Gerber’s ‘E-Myth Revisited’. Read it cover to cover…twice, then jump in with both feet. It’s what I did over 12 years ago and it has been a fantastic ride!

Totall agree.. great book and gives you some fantastic insight,

Cheers,
    Brett

Viewing 11 posts - 46 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.