Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Social media faux pas

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    tonyk
    • Total posts: 1,430
    Up
    ::

What does everyone think is the biggest social media faux pas?

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up

Accidentally posting about your wild weekend…in detail…on your business page.

Not that I know, not having too many of those any more lol.

Wendy :)

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

I think the biggest faux pas has to be that people seem to forget they are actually representing a business… even if your sole business is run through Facebook, it is your potential customers that are reading your posts so you should have a level of professionalism in your posts at all times. I am put off contacting/buying from a facebook ‘business’ if there is no care in how they are commenting… a business page’s comment that’s full of lols, heart symbols, poor spelling etc (and I don’t mean a typo here and there but a post that you can’t even understand due to spelling/structure etc). If they care so little about how they represent their own business online, how can I trust they’ll care about me as a customer?

The Copy Chick
    • Total posts: 963
    Up

Oh dear.. I’m a blatant smiley face abuser!!

However… back on topic, I think one of the biggest faux pas is repeating the same marketing message over and over. It’s boring and unnecessary.

I’m also not a fan of negative posts. Which isn’t to say everything needs to be Pollyanna-perfect rainbows and kittens, but bitching and moaning shouldn’t make up the majority of your posts.

BroodsBigBras
    • Total posts: 31
    Up

I think slamming another business online is a big no no, for me I’m competing against major retailers and some smaller ones and I don’t always agree with their fitting methods and as much as I’d love to have a go at them for mis-informing women and telling them not to shop there on my page I know it is business suicide for myself. In the past I have hinted here or there to someone posting on my wall about where they were fitted and I have said ‘please don’t go to such and such company’ but have decided if I can to not do that anymore as I don’t want to take the negative approach. I just try to ignore the other companies and focus on improving my store and my pages and helping out as much as I can.

When it comes to the internet everything you say hangs around, a blogging buddy of mine overseas was getting into a battle with a store and was quite angry about it and wanted to say some bad stuff about the company in her blog and my advice was

“Don’t say anything online that you wouldn’t say to the company face to face” and I think that is a great rule to have in general because you never know who is reading what you are saying

tonyk
    Up

I agree. Instead of focusing on the negatives of others you should focus on your positives.

BlackCoffeeComms
    • Total posts: 472
    Up

The moaning from some of the WAHMs drives me insane “Been on the phone to a nasty customer. I wish people would understand I am sometimes up all night with a baby so can’t always get orders delivered on time” – yes that was an actual status update which made me unlike the page quick smart.

Don’t care – you’re a business, act like one!

tonyk
    Up
    Cathie, post: 0 wrote:
    I’m on Twitter and the relentless self-promotion from some is a real turn-off. It’s easier to forgive a faux pas than put up with this.

I agree. Shouldn’t be all about selling on social networking platforms.

Melanie Miller Biz Coach
    • Total posts: 90
    Up
    BlackCoffeeComms, post: 136969 wrote:
    The moaning from some of the WAHMs drives me insane “Been on the phone to a nasty customer. I wish people would understand I am sometimes up all night with a baby so can’t always get orders delivered on time” – yes that was an actual status update which made me unlike the page quick smart.

Don’t care – you’re a business, act like one!

Agreed!!!! I can not stand that but see it regularly!

tonyk
    Up
    Melanie Miller Biz Coach, post: 137225 wrote:
    Agreed!!!! I can not stand that but see it regularly!

Agree. Very unprofessional.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.