Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Social media for small business

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    ZoeBic
    • Total posts: 5
    Up
    ::

Hi there, as a new start up’erer myself – just wanted to see what other people thought. Which problem do you think is the most pertinent for new small business a) they don’t understand how to go about getting multiple social media profiles b) they just don’t have time?

Cheers,
    Zoe @ Down Pat Media

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

Hi Zoe,
    How about a couple more options:

c. They don’t know which social media platform is appropriate to their needs
    d. They don’t know how to use it/them effectively.

There are so many posts on FS where small businesses are asking is (insert your social media name) effective in promoting your business?

These posts are amongst the longest threads on FS.

IMHO, it seems these c and d options may have more to do with the issue of social media marketing than the two you have suggested.
    Regs,
    JohnW

WhatsThePlanDan
    Participant
    • Total posts: 297
    Up
    JohnW, post: 157919 wrote:
    c. They don’t know which social media platform is appropriate to their needs
    d. They don’t know how to use it/them effectively.

Totally agree with this.

JohnW, post: 157919 wrote:
    These posts are amongst the longest threads on FS.

Apart from those on SEO ;)

Cheers
    Daniel

Sydney Business
    • Total posts: 141
    Up

To find which ones are appropriate to your needs is not as difficult as you would think – All the media’s do different things so once you know that you can choose.

For example – Instagram is great for businesses like fashion who would like to show off and test a product to see if their followers will be keen to buy it or to show of new products which have just arrived.

This link http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/forums/sales-marketing/24631-if-you-attended-social-media-workshop.html is to another discussion on the very topic of what people expect in a workshop on social media.
    Note that I am not trying to self promote but their is plenty of knowledge out there.

Wonderdog
    • Total posts: 8
    Up

I had to answer since Social Media Marketing is part of my business :)

Yes, it is a great way for small businesses to get themselves in front of the same people the big businesses get in front of, but it takes time. So, B is a big issue with people I talk to. Don’t have the time to deal with all those different social medias, so B leads into A. Time away from the business to learn about the different social medias….

There are certainly tools out there to make the use of social media easier to understand and quicker to use, but again, there is that time hurdle where they have to go out, find the tools and learn to use them.

CookiDesigner
    • Total posts: 3
    Up

Hey Zoe,
    I think it depends on the nature of your business and consumer base. I worked in the sales & marketing department of a travel wholesaler. We never used any form of social media for any reason because our clients were travel retailers and direct clients aged 40+ (many were retirees). Almost all travel agencies use some form of social media but we never found it to be appropriate.

But in general, I think social media is an excellent tool if you can apply it effectively, especially when a small business is just starting out.

G. L.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.