Home – New Forums Tech talk Social Media Timings

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    My Wedding Concierge
    • Total posts: 109
    Up
    ::

I’ve recently been experimenting with reactions to different content posted at different times of the day on my Facebook page.

It’s been quite interesting to see what seems to get more likes / shares / comments depending on the time of the day it’s posted…

Generally I find that I get the best results if it’s posted first thing in the morning, or later in the afternoon. I assume that due to people checking their facebook account first up before work, and then once they leave work.

Has anyone else got any insights into the best times to post material to get the most engagement from users?

Dane Pymble
    • Total posts: 227
    Up

Hi I read this article a while back – http://mashable.com/2012/05/09/best-time-to-post-on-facebook/ – a few people have asked me this question. Whilst I only get a handful of likes on the majority of my posts so I am not necessarily the best guide I post the majority of my content around 11am.

Maybe the FS crew can share some insights on their page data?

AdvancedPetSitting
    • Total posts: 357
    Up

I get best results when I post in the evening and on weekends.

websitedesigner
    • Total posts: 917
    Up

It’s totally different for different businesses. In terms of days I think general rules of thumb for B2B businesses is Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday but I’ve also heard of businesses mostly B2C who get better results over the weekend.

Timezones is another factor I noticed in MailChimp they have a setting where if you schedule it more than 24 hours in advance you can send it at the user’s timezone, meaning everyone get it at say 11am their time as opposed to the middle of the night (a lot of my users are overseas so I’m going to play around with this).

Jodie McLeod
    • Total posts: 345
    Up
    Dane Pymble, post: 126719 wrote:
    Hi I read this article a while back – http://mashable.com/2012/05/09/best-time-to-post-on-facebook/ – a few people have asked me this question. Whilst I only get a handful of likes on the majority of my posts so I am not necessarily the best guide I post the majority of my content around 11am.

Maybe the FS crew can share some insights on their page data?

Hi Dane,

I’m not sure there’s an exact science on it, but if you aim for those times when people are taking tea breaks or breaks in general – mid-morning, lunchtime, afternoon tea – that seems to have maximum impact. There is debate out there on regularity of posts – some say every hour, some say once a day. It al comes down to you rquality of content.

Hope this helps,

Jodie

PicNet
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

I find the two best times are:

1. Around 6pm on a week night – Many people are on their way home from work. Just look around on the trains, train stations, buses, busstops. Almost everyone has their heads buried in a smartphone or tablet!
    2. 8 or 9pm on a Sunday – People are enjoying the last moments of the weekend, sitting on the couch, watching tv, checking their email.
    Dane Pymble
    • Total posts: 227
    Up
    FS Editor, post: 126885 wrote:
    Hi Dane,

I’m not sure there’s an exact science on it, but if you aim for those times when people are taking tea breaks or breaks in general – mid-morning, lunchtime, afternoon tea – that seems to have maximum impact. There is debate out there on regularity of posts – some say every hour, some say once a day. It al comes down to you rquality of content.

Hope this helps,

Jodie

Thanks Jodie, that’s what I intuitively thought. I figure, what are times I sneak on to Facebook when I should be working:) If I am doing it at certain times then I dare say others are too!

Blink
    • Total posts: 3
    Up

Interesting topic.

We just finished a little piece of analysis on signup days/times. While this is slightly different – because we are measuring sign-ups not comments/likes – we have noticed the following in terms of sign-ups:

Monday & Friday are slow days – about 40% down on average
    Saturday & Sunday – up about 30%
    Public Holidays – up 20%

Rainy/cold weather days – up 25% on average

Time of day – seems to be slightly skewed towards late at night, but was hard to draw any conclusive results on that – as we didn’t have enough data points to be valid enough I think.

We target small businesses / soloists, so you need to take that into consideration I would guess.

So – now I cross my fingers for rainy public holidays :)

adrian
    Participant
    • Total posts: 181
    Up

Perfect timing! A new infographic came out today from Kiss Metrics on Twitter Timing, you may find it useful.

websitedesigner
    • Total posts: 917
    Up

Ha was just about to link up to this. Love Kiss Metrics!

itsinthestars
    • Total posts: 1
    Up

I think 4-7pm is best as people are either taking a break from work or are on the train or bus reading facebook.
    You could also try posting at 7.30-8.30am in the morning to get the early birds and then running something different about it in the evening slot.
    Pictures work best, but short text that has relevance can work too.

WiseUp
    • Total posts: 15
    Up

Under the banner of MumsNow, myself and an associate have just surveyed 1,000 Australian Mums and are about to release a series of research reports into Mums Online and Technology Habits.

What we were finding is a lot of the data we get fed here is from the US, and although there are similarities, we all know – we’re not quite the same!

We have a free one page report you can download here http://mumsnow.com.au/Free_Downloads.php which gives a snapshot of Social Media habits including usage times and engagement levels.

If your target is Mums this could help.

Mary-Anne

stewartglass
    • Total posts: 4
    Up

I tend to think evenings or weekends…

Maybe also for Mum’s around school pickup time..

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

I noticed that too, people might have been busy for their other engagements in the middle of the day and so they check first thing in the morning and then later before work ends or during the night. How about weekends?

Shout Consulting
    • Total posts: 14
    Up

The best time to post and what gets the most engagement changes from business to business.

The only way to know for sure is to test it yourself or get your social media consultant to do it.

Post at diferent times and look at what types of posts – traditionally photos get the most engagement and links get the least. Questions are also good if people can answer quickly.

As a B2B I find first thing in the morning and lunchtime the best for my business. For some clients it is definitely 5.30pm onwards.

For one competition we ran which was launched on a public holiday we had an amazing amount of entries on the first day.

Plus remember as you increase your likes when your audience is checking Facebook can also change so make sure you look at your insights often to see what is happening.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.