Home – New Forums Starting your journey Sole Trader, ABN & Business Name – How Do they Fit Together?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    The_Healer
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    ::

Hi, I’m starting a small business and have already registered an ABN for myself as a sole trader. I have also registered a business name.

What I don’t understand is, if I want to trade under the business name I have registered, do I have to somehow associate my ABN (as a sole trader) with this business name?

Note that my business is registered in NSW.

Thanks for your help in advance.

CruzAccountant
    • Total posts: 195
    Up

Hi

You associate the business name with your ABN on the ABN application form. If you haven’t done this, it’s not too late. Just need to log back into the ABn website and “change your details”.

The_Healer
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    CruzAccountant, post: 45357 wrote:
    Hi

You associate the business name with your ABN on the ABN application form. If you haven’t done this, it’s not too late. Just need to log back into the ABn website and “change your details”.
    I did do this thankfully.

So I don’t have to update any details with NSW Fair Trading? As in, I don’t send them a changed details form with my sole trader ABN as the Registered Business’ ABN?

Melinda B
    • Total posts: 349
    Up
    The_Healer, post: 45362 wrote:
    So I don’t have to update any details with NSW Fair Trading? As in, I don’t send them a changed details form with my sole trader ABN as the Registered Business’ ABN?
    They should be the same number, unless you’ve managed to get two ABN’s.
    Kirsty2715
    • Total posts: 9
    Up

NSW Fair Trading told me to notify them of the ABN once I got it (because I registered the name first) – it was really simple, just drop in to their office (if you can) and fill in a change of details form. It doesn’t cost anything and they process it straight away.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.