Home – New Forums Money matters Sole Trader and running a 2nd business

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    wolfwolf
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    ::

Hi
    I’d like clarification on the GST threshold.
    Current business is getting towards 75K it fell just short last year.
    Exploring options regarding GST and if I can avoid having to implement it!
    If I can rearrange my current business and start a new business under the same ABN which would drop the 1st business earnings well below the 75K, can I do this?
    ie have 2 businesses as a Sole Trader both earning upto say 70K (eventually he says optimistically) without having to sign up to the GST thing?
    While earnings are good costs are not so good therefore I don’t really have the ability to absorb an extra 10% cost to my bottom line and nor would the market I work in be able to carry the extra costs!
    Cheers

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up

Hi And Welcome to Flying Solo wolfwolf. It is great to have you!

Hopefully some helpful members will be along to point you in the right direction.

Cheers

Precise Tax Solutions
    Participant
    • Total posts: 172
    Up

Multiple businesses run under the same ABN share the same $75k GST registration threshold.

Once you earn over $6,250 in any month and the forecast is that this will continue, you are required to register for GST at that time (even in the middle of a financial year) and will be liable to pay GST to the ATO from the date you are required to be registered.

Cheers

traydemackenzie
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Hi,

Exactly what Ben said if the two businesses are using the same ABN the $75k rule still applies.

aloysius
    • Total posts: 1
    Up

I’ve been in a similar situation, although with me it was two quite different business activities, just both under my name as a sole trader. I ended up setting up a partnership (with my wife as the other partner) for one of the activities – the partnership has a seperate ABN and TFN so is a seperate tax entity. If you are doing two seperate things this might be a good course forward, however if it’s a single business activity you want to split just for accounting purposes, you may be on shaky legal ground.

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up

[USER=100646]@aloysius[/USER] – Thanks for joining and contributing to Flying Solo!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.