Home – New Forums Other discussions Sole trader going overseas for a few weeks…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Lee333
    • Total posts: 43
    Up
    ::

Wasn’t sure where to put this question, so figured “other discussions” would do. I have been invited to a wedding in Colombia later this year. As a sole trader with an online product that does require physical transport to post, going would mean either not selling during that time or hiring someone to fill in while away. What I’m wondering is, if I hire someone, does that make me a company, rather than a sole trader? It would be three weeks max…

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

sole traders can hire.

But depending on the amount of work do you have a close friend, or family who can fill the gap. I normally say don’t work with family or friends, but if you have someone who can just pack and despatch. It may avoid the hassle of employing someone and all that entails.

Lee333
    Up

Hmm. Will ask around. It’s a family wedding, so can’t call on family. The only ones not going will have a VERY new baby and a toddler, so it wouldn’t be fair to ask them. I have time to think about it. There is a warehousing/logistics company not far from me. I might check them out and see if they’ll take on a temp job.

Rohan@TD
    • Total posts: 164
    Up

Hi Lee, Bert is certainly correct that you can hire somebody for the period you’re away and still be a sole trader. The warehousing/logistics company is certainly an option to provide your customers ongoing support for the period you are away.

Another alternative is to hire somebody as a contractor to cover you whilst you’re gone (vs. an employee). If you go down this route, it’s important to give them very clear written directions, make sure they have a contact number for you and you give them an opportunity to work with you supervised before you go away. I would also recommend you give them a clear day-by-day running sheet with instructions, which includes a daily update report back to you on what they did. The two key purposes are to set clear expectations for them and to reduce the stress on yourself. Both, are pretty important.

As a frequent traveller, I also recommend you purchase a local sim card / data pack whilst you’re away – they are invaluable to keep your business running and yourself sane whilst you’re away. Even if it’s only to check your emails. Alternatively, you can purchase travel data etc. from your Australian phone company and use hotel WIFI etc. to make phone calls.

Enjoy Colombia, I hear it’s amazing.

Lee333
    Up

I am definitely looking forward to Colombia (but not the travel time there and back). My soon-to-be daughter-in-law is from Bogota, so we’ll be parked there while in the country. I know it is very safe in most places there now and am really keen to explore.

PS I use Amaysim for mobile, Optus for pocket wi-fi when travelling and iinet at home. Between the three, I’m sure I’ll find something suitable to use while away.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.