Home Forums Money matters Sole Trader GST

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anderz4
    • Total posts: 1

I have had a sole trader ABN since April 2019 and never anticipated to earn much.

My working situation changed and I have now earned over $90K for the 2019-2020 financial year. I have just learned that I need to register for GST (I for some reason though the threshold was $100K).

I have only invoiced the same business as I work for them but for accounting purposes (the owner is just lazy) he preferred that I am on an ABN instead of paying me as an employee. I am fine with this but my question is, as I take 100% of what I earn as salary (minus the amount I put aside for tax each pay) how do I calculate the GST owed?

I have very limited expenses as this is essentially an employer employee relationship (the business owner pays for my phone, petrol etc) and I’m just getting paid through my ABN instead of as an employee.

Rowan@quaotic
    Participant
    • Total posts: 712

I think you need to talk to your accountant ASAP. This situation looks like you are being an employee and you really have to get the situation sorted as both you and your employer can get into trouble by not following correct procedures.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Anderz4, post: 269931, member: 117985 wrote:
    (the owner is just lazy).

I’m with Rowan, you should be standing outside your accountants office at 9am this morning.

But I doubt your employer is lazy as you state, they are taking the easy road, and most likely ripping you off, Your accountant will explain

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,175

Hi and Welcome to Flying Solo.

It is great that you are thinking about ways to tackle a problem you have.

With the others, I think you need to pay an Accountant for some advice.

Cheers

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.