Home – New Forums Money matters Sole Trader Registered in Australia but working Overseas.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Alw
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    ::

As a Sole Trader business registered in Australia. As I only sell Digital product online. With no physical stock I have some freedom to move around and work from different parts of this beautiful country.

Based in BNE for about 6 years. Now working out of Melbourne. Due to some unfortunate circumstances back home (NZ). I’m looking at the possibility of working from there for at least 12 months. (NZ Citizen)

Just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and which one of the lovely governments would I pay income tax too if not both. I will definitely seek professional advice when time comes. Just seeing if anyone has gone through something similar.

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up

I ran a website directed to US businesses and got paid in USD. I was advised at the time that I had to pay tax here or in the US. I chose here because it was much easier to do that for me.

I do not know if the advice suits your situation.

Taxopia
    Participant
    • Total posts: 301
    Up

A good starting point would be for you to work out your tax residency status (not to be confused with your immigration residency status).
    https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/International-tax-for-individuals/Work-out-your-tax-residency/

Australian tax residents are taxed on global income. Obviously if you are not a tax resident here and if you earn income unrelated to Australia then there is no tax obligation here.

Alan Maddick
    • Total posts: 410
    Up

If you are living in NZ for the next 12 months I would pay tax there, it is easy to swap between the two (Aus & NZ) as our double taxation agreement works well. If you sell digital products you may need to look at your domain names and where the servers are located too – some countries (for example USA) take the view that if the website is hosted on their soil then you should pay tax in their country as well as your country of residence.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.