Home – New Forums Starting your journey Sole Trader to Company (Length?)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    GSanders12
    • Total posts: 201
    Up
    ::

Hi guys. I have to change my entity structure from sole trader to a company since I am adding on 2 new directors.

We are launching our marketing campaign within 2 weeks for perfect timing.

It says on the site that I have to get a NEW ABN all together.. if I want to make the switch to a company. Does anyone know the length of this process and if I can get it done before 2 weeks?

Thanks!

James Millar
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,739
    Up
    GSanders12, post: 198226 wrote:
    Hi guys. I have to change my entity structure from sole trader to a company since I am adding on 2 new directors.

We are launching our marketing campaign within 2 weeks for perfect timing.

It says on the site that I have to get a NEW ABN all together.. if I want to make the switch to a company. Does anyone know the length of this process and if I can get it done before 2 weeks?

Thanks!

The company can generally be incorporated within 24 hours. The ABN & TFN application can be lodged online once incorporated. The quoted service time for ABN’s is up to 28 days but it can be anywhere from immediate to 2 weeks in practice.

Helping build better businesses and better lives with expert financial and taxation advice. [email protected] www.360partners.com.au 03 9005 4900
    GSanders12
    Up
    JamesMillar, post: 198263 wrote:
    The company can generally be incorporated within 24 hours. The ABN & TFN application can be lodged online once incorporated. The quoted service time for ABN’s is up to 28 days but it can be anywhere from immediate to 2 weeks in practice.

I spoke to them today and they said it can take immediate effect to 20 business days.

Let me know what you think of my plan:

I will apply for the new ABN and then register for a company and company structure with ASIC.

If my new ABN doesn’t process within 2 weeks (which is the time of my marketing campaign launch), I will use my current sole trader entity as a back up plan to launch with my marketing campaign.

Hopefully my new ABN comes through immediately.

So it takes 20 business days for a new ABN but the company name registration takes only 24 hours usually?

What does TFN have to do with it though? Is that related to the ABN?

Thank you!

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up
    GSanders12, post: 198281 wrote:
    Let me know what you think of my plan:

I will apply for the new ABN and then register for a company and company structure with ASIC.

I think your plan has a hole in it.

The ABN will belong to the company, not you … you’ll have to have a company set up to apply.

An individual (entity) can only hold one ABN … the company will be a legal entity in it’s own right, regardless of the individuals associated with it.

Edit: ditto for the TFN

GSanders12
    Up
    estim8, post: 198290 wrote:
    I think your plan has a hole in it.

The ABN will belong to the company, not you … you’ll have to have a company set up to apply.

An individual (entity) can only hold one ABN … the company will be a legal entity in it’s own right, regardless of the individuals associated with it.

Edit: ditto for the TFN

Thanks for the reply estim8!

Wait, can a company hold more then one ABN?

Can you provide me with any suggestions to fix the plan to achieve the goal?

Should I get a new company registered first as a PTY LTD entity & then proceed to getting a new ABN?

Thank you!

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up

One ABN/TFN per entity … individual, company, or partnership.

Simple really, an ABN can’t exist for a company if it doesn’t exist.

ATO can’t process anything till one’s registered as far as I’m aware.

GSanders12
    Up
    estim8, post: 198318 wrote:
    One ABN/TFN per entity … individual, company, or partnership.

Simple really, an ABN can’t exist for a company if it doesn’t exist.

ATO can’t process anything till one’s registered as far as I’m aware.

Oh okay! So that means I can use my CURRENT ABN to create another company registered as a PTY LTD?

That means I will have 2 companies under my current ABN which are:

1) Sole Trader

2) PTY LTD

With that being said, can I use my Sole Trader as a back up for my soon-to-be marketing campaign launch if my PTY LTD company takes too long to process/register? Or will it process fairly fast?

Thanks again estim8.

Prashant Murphy
    • Total posts: 16
    Up
    GSanders12, post: 198320 wrote:
    Oh okay! So that means I can use my CURRENT ABN to create another company registered as a PTY LTD?

That means I will have 2 companies under my current ABN which are:

1) Sole Trader

2) PTY LTD

With that being said, can I use my Sole Trader as a back up for my soon-to-be marketing campaign launch if my PTY LTD company takes too long to process/register? Or will it process fairly fast?

Thanks again estim8.
    No, it doesn’t work like that.

When you register a Pty Ltd company, it gets an ACN (Australian Company Number). Getting an ABN is not technically required and I would think you can launch your marketing campaign with just an ACN. Your company’s ABN will just be the ACN with 2 numbers added at the start.

It is completely separate from your ABN which you use as a sole trader.

Regardless, I think if you apply for an ABN for the company straight away after registering, you will very likely be fine.

Hope this makes sense!

James Millar
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,739
    Up

Hey GSanders the comments above from Estim8 are right.

I’m assuming from all of your confusion that you don’t have an accountant or have not consulted an accountant about this. I cannot emphasise enough that you should really speak with one before doing anything. There are all sorts of tax issues associated with a transfer of business and there are reporting obligations associated with having a company – these are considerably more involved and more expensive than operating as a sole proprietor.

Helping build better businesses and better lives with expert financial and taxation advice. [email protected] www.360partners.com.au 03 9005 4900
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.