Home – New Forums Starting your journey Sole Trader

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    • Total posts: 4
    Up
    ::

hi
    I am currently running my own family daycare business from home and have done for 16 years my ABN is registered under my own name as is my trading name. I am thinking of starting another small business as well under my current ABN but I wish to use another trading name is there anything i need to do?

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

Just register your new trading name with Fair trading and away you go

Up

so i can’t just use my own name ie joe blogs trading as bla bla the trading name has to be registered?

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

From my understanding of the law you need to register a trading name, unless it is you own name. But check with an accountant or solicitor for more acurate advice. We only give our honest opinions, not advice.

Up

ok thanks for your help

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

You have to register all trading names. They are renewable every 2 years. You also have to advise your bank so they can put them on your cheque/bank account. My bank account is my name trading as … and trading as …. It’s very long, but they won’t accept deposits unless all three names are on the bank account. I also had to show the Registration of Trading Name certificates each time. The ABN remains the same for all.
    If you want a separate ABN you have to create a separate business.

Up

Thank you for that information it was very helpful

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.