Home – New Forums Tech talk Solution: SMTP outgoing mail server whilst travelling

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    hopek
    • Total posts: 13
    Up
    ::

Hi all,

I’m travelling around right now and suffering the pains of changing my outgoing smtp everytime I get to a new hotel, when quite often the staff don’t know what I”m talking about. I came across this fab option and it had it resolved in 20 seconds. Creates an SMTP that you can use anywhere with any ISP.

http://www.smtp2go.com

Absolutely brilliant!

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up

I don’t get it.

As long as I have an internet connection my SMTP server works … am I missing something?

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

One word: Gmail

adrian
    Participant
    • Total posts: 181
    Up
    estim8, post: 129579 wrote:
    I don’t get it.

As long as I have an internet connection my SMTP server works … am I missing something?
    They’re maketing to people that have their email tied to their ISP. Like [email protected]. Quite often the smtp servers only send mail that comes through their own network, so using it travelling can an issue.

But I’m with Matthew. All my email has been gone through Gmail for years. I have about 10 different email addresses through different severs and gmail acts as ‘central station’ beautifully.

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up

Been so long since I had that kind of email.

Should’ve clicked.

I’ve got a co tenant sharing my office that insists on keeping an email address issued by his ISP (it’s actually his domain registered through them), he has all kinds of issues as soon as he has other SMPT servers listed in his email client, maybe he could use this link.

Yes, Gmail seems to rule, I have an account but I use it more as ID than anything else to access some of their services, must be getting paranoid in my old age, started to get that big brother feeling with Google and discontinued Google Apps for business, put my domains back on conventional email.

kathiemt
    • Total posts: 1,167
    Up

Yes, I use gmail whenever I have gone away too. I get it to collect all my email addresses (I have multiple hats) and only have to log into one place.

Zava Design
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,463
    Up
    MatthewKeath, post: 129582 wrote:
    One word: Gmail
    150% agree.

Once you go Gmail you’ll never go back.

nominal
    • Total posts: 504
    Up

I do not share the common view in this thread.
    I do not prefer to use gmail, only when I have to.

Few reasons for this:

1. Outlook is a much more powerful email client which allows crafting emails, organisations, searching, sorting and so on much better then gmail.

2. Performance – Gmail is slow both when used as a web app (directly via a browser) and especially when using their SMTP/IMAP service.

I have multiple email address all connected to the same web app front end ( one personal/isp, few hosted on my own email server , one hotmail and one gmail).
    Gmail is by far the slowest to download, search emails, reply to emails through the IMAP server is simply shocking.

3. Address – I do not think businesses should send emails from X@gmail address, what does it say about your business? that you cannot spend $8 on a domain?

As for the OP I never encountered this problem, but if I needed an hosted SMTP I would probably go with Amazon (AWS), they keep amazing me with the breadth of services they offer. But its like a well kept secret because not many people are willing to go to the trouble of learning AWS gickyness.

kathiemt
    Up

Uriel, I use domain email addresses, several of them. I find collating them in one place via gmail is useful and they have a reasonable anti-spam filter too. It means that if I want to keep mail on the server it’s stored at gmail and it keeps my own server free from archived mail. Also very useful if I want to log into one place when away from my office to check email, instead of having to wait for my laptop to download/retrieve mail from multiple accounts, or having to log in and out of multiple accounts online to view the web mail.

I appreciate your thoughts but just thought I’d clarify why I use gmail.

nominal
    Up
    kathiemt, post: 129660 wrote:
    Uriel
    How did you know my name is Uriel? I didn’t see it anywhere on profile.
    It is just as hard to pronounce (for English natives) as my shorter name – lol
    kathiemt
    Up
    nominal, post: 129661 wrote:
    How did you know my name is Uriel? I didn’t see it anywhere on profile.
    It is just as hard to pronounce (for English natives) as my shorter name – lol

I wasn’t sure what your name was by your signature or username so looked up your profile and saw something that mentioned Uriel so knew that was your name :)

I like to address people by their names. Perhaps if you change your signature slightly so it’s obvious what your name is.

TehCamel
    • Total posts: 873
    Up

alot of ISPs or hosting providers are now also offering smtp on port 2525, 26, or 587, to try to get around the fact that many places block outbound smtp. (Which they do for good reason)

Another option would be Office365…

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    nominal, post: 129641 wrote:
    I do not share the common view in this thread.
    I do not prefer to use gmail, only when I have to.

Few reasons for this:

1. Outlook is a much more powerful email client which allows crafting emails, organisations, searching, sorting and so on much better then gmail.

2. Performance – Gmail is slow both when used as a web app (directly via a browser) and especially when using their SMTP/IMAP service.

I have multiple email address all connected to the same web app front end ( one personal/isp, few hosted on my own email server , one hotmail and one gmail).
    Gmail is by far the slowest to download, search emails, reply to emails through the IMAP server is simply shocking.

3. Address – I do not think businesses should send emails from X@gmail address, what does it say about your business? that you cannot spend $8 on a domain?

As for the OP I never encountered this problem, but if I needed an hosted SMTP I would probably go with Amazon (AWS), they keep amazing me with the breadth of services they offer. But its like a well kept secret because not many people are willing to go to the trouble of learning AWS gickyness.Gmail has all the features you just mentioned. And it allows you to use your own domain – or multiple domains as I have.

Never had an issue with speed. I am not a fan of Outlook, but used a different email client for years. When that crashed once I decided to give Gmail a try and have never looked back!

Zava Design
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,463
    Up
    nominal, post: 129641 wrote:
    Gmail allows all of that.

Why are you downloading emails? I manage all my emails on the cloud. And that’s even while in Sth America, no probs.

I don’t pay anything, and manage all my domain name emails via Gmail, my actual Gmail address is only used for online accounts.

I’m not sure you’re fully aware of how Gmail can actually be used, nor how flexible it is.

nominal
    Up
    Zava Design, post: 129697 wrote:
    Gmail allows all of that.

It may do that set of features. But it does not do everything outlook does.

Why are you downloading emails? I manage all my emails on the cloud. And that’s even while in Sth America, no probs.

Wrong choice of words, I meant synchronising.

I don’t pay anything, and manage all my domain name emails via Gmail, my actual Gmail address is only used for online accounts.

That sounds better.

I’m not sure you’re fully aware of how Gmail can actually be used, nor how flexible it is.
    Not sure I like the tone of that, I actually know quite a lot about Google services and have developed many integration with different part of their systems, including gmail.

I signed up to hotmail probably about 15 years ago and I still (rarely) use it , I do not think Gmail is such a big deal :-)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.