Home – New Forums Tech talk Some WordPress training resources

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    websitedesigner
    • Total posts: 917
    Up
    ::

Hi guys I have recently uploaded some WordPress training resources to my blog. I know a lot of solo business people use it (which is great) so hopefully this will be of some use to people. Here is the full list of resources. Other than the first presentation, they are all step by step screencast tutorials.

They are presented here in order in which I would suggest learning WordPress.

Please feel free to comment on here or on the blog with feedback or suggestions. I’m happy to do more if I’ve missed anything.

WordPress training – this is the main category which lists all of the WordPress related posts.

What is WordPress (and why you should use it)

Adding and editing pages in WordPress

WordPress menus

WordPress blogging (posts)

Adding / editing a contact form using Contact Form 7

Widgets

WordPress security – keeping WordPress up to date

How to use WordPress plugins

How to install WordPress themes

I also wrote a post recently on the 10 best WordPress plugins for small business.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Dan, this is an awesome list, thank you.

I have been wishing we had something like this on the forum for ages, and I’m really grateful that you’ve put it together for us.

If anyone else can add to it, please do – let’s create a nice little resource for anyone embarking on the WordPress journey to access.

Love your work Dan! :)
    Jayne

chook
    • Total posts: 40
    Up

Great list. Thanks.

OneArmedGraphics
    • Total posts: 314
    Up

Nice list.

Didn’t know about ‘EZPZ One Click Backup’ – awesome find, rolling that out to all my sites!

websitedesigner
    Up

Thanks guys glad it was useful. Lots of more stuff coming soon (ish) including a bunch of new free themes designed specifically for small business owners :)

Deb Dane
    • Total posts: 22
    Up

thank you so much for posting this – the biggest hold up to my launch is my site – i have bought my domain, installed WP and added the thesis theme. There seems to be a lot of WP info online that either 1) assumes tech / computer knowledge that a lot of business people don’t have yet or is 2) basic but for WP in general. I know/think there are differences with my thesis theme that make some of those instructions not applicable to my site and cannot find BASIC thesis info – even the basic section of their support forums is over my head. do you know anyone posting thesis specific basics by any chance or do you have anything on this?

i have my kids at home for school holildays so cannot go through yor posts right now but will do so tomorrow when they are at vacation care (woo hoo). so apologies if you cover this on one of your blog posts as i would usually read before commenting, but figured if you can direct me to anything thesis specific as well I can log a few WP hours tomorrow.

thanks again – cannot wait to read your blog!

davidg
    • Total posts: 20
    Up

That is some great training Dan – nice one !
    Quick question – when a new WP version comes out, do you upgrade immediately or wait a while?

David

websitedesigner
    Up

Hi deb, we are building our own themes and using woothemes. I haven’t used Thesis. My view on it is you can get so much for free but most people / businesses need some sort of paid monthly support (if I didn’t believe that I’d be a bit nervous about the future for my business).

If you have specific questions I would start by posting them in the tech forum there are lots of good people who may know the answers.

With most good themes you can do a huge amount of customising but you can never customize everything without knowing the code.

Re the versions our backups are very strict so I’m never too nervous about upgrading straight away, I usually backup manually just before we do it as well but we have 3 other potential backup sources so I always think it’s better to do it straight away and give it a bit of a test.

Deb Dane
    • Total posts: 22
    Up

thanks for your reply.

you know what i did not even explore the tech section – i managed to not even grasp there was one (tend to think of here as starting a business, marketing, etc). will have a look around and ask if anyone uses thesis.

thanks again!

WW2010
    • Total posts: 104
    Up

All great stuff. Big thanks to Dan for taking the time. the EZPZ plugin didnt work for me for reasons im not sure and im using the stck free templates wordpress have.

Does anyone know where they can find help with more complicated themes?

Ive noticed that when i installed one that it gave me a bunch of options that im not equiped to handle. Dan mentions a few plug ins which are awsmome but when i stalled them they had all these options buried in the prefences which made no sense at all….So really i havent got a clue if there doing there job or not.

Guess its time to visit the pros!

Cheers all

websitedesigner
    Up

Best bet is to post some specific questions to the tech forum, there are lots of us web geeks in there. Most of the plugins are relatively straight forward, some have lots of options but you don’t need to mess with most of them.

There are a lot of options when it comes to some nicer themes, I use WooThemes, you can see some of them on our free WordPress themes page. Although if you are simplicity some of the WooThemes configuration options can be a bit daunting.

Sometimes there is a limit to how much you can do yourself as well and having a decent web designer on call to help can be beneficial.

All the best.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.