Home – New Forums Other discussions Someone owes money, what to do?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Spirytus
    • Total posts: 24
    Up
    ::

Need advice before I take it any further.. Few years back I developed a website for one of my clients. Later he also asked me to purchase number of additional domains for him and so I did. I had no contact with him over next few years as all was fine. Someone else hosted and looked after the site I developed for him and I end up having this additional domains under my account.

As this were about to expire early this year, even though I had nothing to do with his website and business anymore I decided to email him just to let him know that domains will expire soon and we should start transfer of these domains before expiry date. I emailed him many times with no answer. Few weeks before expiry date however I received response from someone I never met before.

Apparently my ex client sold business and someone else inherited his website now. We exchanged emails back and forth and I briefed him into domains situation. As the domains were to expire in the day or two he asked me to renew domains and few days after he will oranise the transfer. Before that he said he checked with management and they decided to purchase domains.

I renew domains and sent invoice to him and never heard from him again. Weeks past and after few emails someone else got back to me. I was told that the person that was in contact with me is not with them anymore and I had to brief him into the situation again. So again I explained what happened and never heard from them for a while.

My patience at this point was already tested and as I emailed the guy again I was asked to provide prove that domains were purchased. I provided the proof and again none got back to me. I emailed him again about a week and there is still no response.

Now you might wonder why I didn’t call the guy yet. Sure telephone conversation could help (or make situation worse) but I like to have track of all that was happening.

Now my question is what shall I do now? The amount of money is relatively small (below $200) but the time wasted on this whole thing is ridiculous.

Shall I send him letter of demand and if that doesn’t help shall I take it to fair Trading? Would I win given that I can prove all I explained in my emails? If it would come to that I would have to waste even more time on that but on the other hand I would love to get my money back and don’t want just to give up. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Jenny Spring
    • Total posts: 597
    Up
    Spirytus, post: 170643 wrote:
    Need advice before I take it any further.. Few years back I developed a website for one of my clients. Later he also asked me to purchase number of additional domains for him and so I did. I had no contact with him over next few years as all was fine. Someone else hosted and looked after the site I developed for him and I end up having this additional domains under my account.

As this were about to expire early this year, even though I had nothing to do with his website and business anymore I decided to email him just to let him know that domains will expire soon and we should start transfer of these domains before expiry date. I emailed him many times with no answer. Few weeks before expiry date however I received response from someone I never met before.

Apparently my ex client sold business and someone else inherited his website now. We exchanged emails back and forth and I briefed him into domains situation. As the domains were to expire in the day or two he asked me to renew domains and few days after he will oranise the transfer. Before that he said he checked with management and they decided to purchase domains.

I renew domains and sent invoice to him and never heard from him again. Weeks past and after few emails someone else got back to me. I was told that the person that was in contact with me is not with them anymore and I had to brief him into the situation again. So again I explained what happened and never heard from them for a while.

My patience at this point was already tested and as I emailed the guy again I was asked to provide prove that domains were purchased. I provided the proof and again none got back to me. I emailed him again about a week and there is still no response.

Now you might wonder why I didn’t call the guy yet. Sure telephone conversation could help (or make situation worse) but I like to have track of all that was happening.

Now my question is what shall I do now? The amount of money is relatively small (below $200) but the time wasted on this whole thing is ridiculous.

Shall I send him letter of demand and if that doesn’t help shall I take it to fair Trading? Would I win given that I can prove all I explained in my emails? If it would come to that I would have to waste even more time on that but on the other hand I would love to get my money back and don’t want just to give up. Any advice would be much appreciated.

I’m assuming that their business is active on these domain names?

At this point you have done quite a bit to try and get this sorted. Maybe you can add your fee into this, as well as the cost of the domains, and send them through an invoice. Let them know that if the invoice isn’t paid ASAP, you will list the domain on the open market for sale. This is Internet real estate, and highly valuable…..

Just a thought.

Jenny

Sydney Business
    • Total posts: 141
    Up

The NSW Government has a dispute resolution service and they will call for you to request money. If you choose to take the matter further it then costs you but the initial phone call is often enough to scare people.
    http://www.smallbusiness.nsw.gov.au/dispute-resolution

Good luck

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Hi Spirytus,

You have an email trail of the client asking you to renew the domains so you do have legal rights. To go legal you need to send a letter of demand and then go to local court. There is no way out of this without wasting even more time on a super low value item.

Steve

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

I realise that you prefer to have the email trail (which is good) – but, now might be a good time to give them a call. Just refer them back to the emails and ask when they will be paying the invoice.

If they have had staff changes etc it could just have been lost in the shuffle. Do you have terms & conditions that they would have seen? Refer them also to your terms & conditions about what will happen in the event they don’t pay.

bluepenguin
    • Total posts: 1,026
    Up

Why not just redirect the domains to another page?
    If they are using them, I’m sure they’ll be happy to pay you.

ScarlettR
    • Total posts: 396
    MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

I saw that image recently, it’s great as a joke, but please do not do this.

It’s very unprofessional and would actually make the situation worse.

Call them and speak to the person in charge. Tell them you would like the money, or you will be selling the domains, and give them a two week time line.

If he hasn’t paid in two weeks sell them and move on.

This happens in business. Don’t waste anymore time that you already have on this.

You could go to small claims, but is it worth is?

ScarlettR
    • Total posts: 396
    Up
    MatthewKeath, post: 170752 wrote:
    I saw this recently, it’s great as a joke, but please do not do this.

Agreed! Wasn’t posting it as a suggestion for the OP to do :) I just saw it yesterday and thought it was a good laugh.

Spirytus
    • Total posts: 24
    Up

Thank you all for replies, I really had a good laugh and appreciate all the advice. These guys I have to deal with are pests obviously so I think I will keep chasing them for money and will continue with letter of demand and so I have another question. Is there anything specific that need s to be mentioned in such document apart from obvious amount etc? Are there any templates I could find on the net and safely use? Once again thank you all for your help!

Osmond Mcleod
    • Total posts: 134
    Up
    ScarlettR, post: 170712 wrote:
    [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/vz0fKG9.png?1[/IMG]

I am so glad i checked this tread again…made my night.

I think you could get away with a simple email.

Dear,

I am writing in relation to invoice noXXXX

This invoice is XXX days overdue.

If payment is not received within 14 days the following domains will be placed back on the market.

Kind regards,

Domains are about 10 bucks a year? I think maybe keep it simple and move on.
    IT seems to be sucking a fair bit of your time.

Diy Legal Kits
    • Total posts: 16
    Up

Hi Spirytus,
    You are being very kind to these people who don’t understand that you own the keys to their presence on the web. I understand that the domains are in your account so you actually own the domains?
    If it were me, I’d be letting them know that if they would like to continue using your domain names then you require them to pay the licensing fees which are $xxx. (put this in writing )
    If they cannot see their way to pay the licensing fees or the transfer costs within a specified period of say 7 days, cut them off – change the dns server and let them know that their site is down. A polite phone call (not an email) should do the trick.

Of course if you still want to send letters of demand we have a nice free set available through our website, just send a request through the contact us page.http://www.rpemery.com.au/contactus.html

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.