Home – New Forums Selling online Sourcing brand name stock for new online store

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    michkayoung
    • Total posts: 10
    Up
    ::

Hi
    I am wanting to start up an online store for women’s fashion. At some point I will go down the path of importing and selling my own label but initially I want to stock brand name items (for example Jag, Gap, Morrisey + many more). I have no idea where to start in order to become a stockist of different brand names. Can anyone give me any ideas of where to start. And I assume I will need to buy a bulk lot and store the items myself?
    Any help would be much appreciated.
    PS I dont have a website finalised yet, am at conceptual stage.
    Best Regards
    Michelle

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up
    ::

Hi Michelle,

The best place to start – especially for the bigger brands – is their own main websites.

Some companies will have an exclusive arrangement with someone to distribute in Australia – meaning, they will only have 1 Australian retailer at any given time, where as others will have non-exclusive arrangements to allow multiple Australian resellers/distributors. Quite often their parent websites will contain the information you need to become a stockist or seller of their brands. In other cases, they may simply operate their own stores/distribution rather than having stockists or agents.

As to whether you need to bulk order/store the items – again, this will be up to the supplier and the agreement you come to with them. You’ll ultimately have some sort of distibrution agreement in place with them, which can set out minimum order quantities, sales quotas as well as where/how you can promote their brands etc. The bigger the brand, the more likely it is they will have a standard contract they use with their stockists..

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.