Home – New Forums Logistics Sourcing wholesale fabric

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    TrishR
    • Total posts: 4
    Up
    ::

Hi guys,

We are designing an independent clothing label but we are struggling to find where we can source interesting wholesale fabric. Does anyone know where the fabric is hiding? I have spent hours online searching.

Also are there trade shows for material in Australia? Hoping someone has some suggestions for me. Cheers Trish

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Trish,

Thanks for joining the forum :)

We’ll put a shout out on social media and see if we can rustle up any suggestions for you. Stay tuned!

Jayne

TrishR
    Up

Thanks somuch Jayne, really appreciate any input.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Trish,

That’s our pleasure. This is the Facebook thread – it may contain a lead for you :)

Jayne

TrishR
    Up

Thanks, looks like I am not the only one wondering the same thing.

Johny
    • Total posts: 840
    Up

Seems there are a few people looking for this type of thing judging by some responses on facebook.

If you come to a dead end in Australia here is an “out of left field” suggestion.

Find out what a group of people want, divvy up for the cost of a couple of plane fares to Hong Kong (or somewhere in mainland China like Guangzhou if you feel a bit more adventurous) and take a look around the fabric markets in Sham Shui Po.

A little about it here:-

http://idoublera.wordpress.com/2013/05/16/fabric-market-sham-shui-po-hong-kong/

Don’t think you would have trouble finding materials that meet the relevant Aussie standards.

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up
    Johny, post: 196954 wrote:
    Seems there are a few people looking for this type of thing judging by some responses on facebook.

If you come to a dead end in Australia here is an “out of left field” suggestion.

Find out what a group of people want, divvy up for the cost of a couple of plane fares to Hong Kong (or somewhere in mainland China like Guangzhou if you feel a bit more adventurous) and take a look around the fabric markets in Sham Shui Po.

A little about it here:-

http://idoublera.wordpress.com/2013/05/16/fabric-market-sham-shui-po-hong-kong/

Don’t think you would have trouble finding materials that meet the relevant Aussie standards.

Love you work Mate.. and for anyone wanting to start a business that requires products from O/S, i can HIGHLY RECOMMEND going to the suppliers oneself and seeing what else is available.. I say this as i know personally that if i dont visit my suppliers i never see new trends, get exposed to new opportunities and also struggle with quality assurance (no relationship to build on with honesty or guilt)..

Johny has hit the nail on the head, just a plane flight away is SO SO SO much at your fingers.. and i can also, highly recommend flying into Guangzhou (or train from HK) to check what mainland has.. UNBELIEVABLE really.. just amazing..

Cheers
    Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    TrishR
    Up

Thanks Jason, but we are very new and not really in a position to fly to Hong Kong yet. So basically most clothing labels in Australia all fly overseas to source their fabric?

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up
    TrishR, post: 196984 wrote:
    Thanks Jason, but we are very new and not really in a position to fly to Hong Kong yet. So basically most clothing labels in Australia all fly overseas to source their fabric?

Hi Trish,

NP, not sure that is what is being said though.. Apologies, i was merely advocating Johny’s stance and recommendation.. Reading your initial post about sourcing Australian interesting fabric and are there shows etc, yeah there would be although unfortunately clothing fabric is not my forte. Sorry.

Re your comment “so basically most clothing labels in Australia all fly overseas” i am not entirely sure that is correct either.. Although, depending on size of business, i do believe almost all would be buying from overseas although how they facilitate this would vary…

Upon my recent trip to China i met up with a lady from NT who was starting a lingerie business for Pregnant Mums (well that would make sense wouldnt it – pregnant and mum.. oops humour may have been overlooked :) )- maybe i should say pregnant/mums to be? Her goal was to find some specific materials she could not locally and ventured to the trade show and was exposed to more than she could handle.. However, upon her return to Australia and 12 months later, she made good use of the many business cards she acquired at the show and now has a very successful range with awesome quality materials that she had difficulties locating locally.. Upon our last evening catch up over a few wines, she explained how a small trip of $5-7k to the show in China saved her countless weeks or even months trying to find them locally, and when she sees them locally they come from some of the suppliers she met anyway in China.. She believes the cost compared to man hours and the likes made it all worth while for her… just saying.. her little investment allowed her to do it more efficiently from the outset i guess is the message.

Also, just to elaborate a little more… Most people sourcing would either have an internationally agent sourcing for them that they already trust, or send someone overseas to buy, or have been buying for so long that they just merely replace orders.. I can share another experience which involves a HUGE sporting label in Australia who import all fabrics from India (well some from China but little) and have these shipped directly to Fiji to have clothing cut and made and then ship final products to Oz.. They have been buying from India for many many decades with existing contacts with no need to fly to india to buy in person.

Hope i didnt muddy the waters too much, but thought you may find interesting…

The start is always the hardest, well actually the initial step is, but once you take it.. WOOSH.. you will fly :)

Cheers
    Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    Julanne
    • Total posts: 3
    Up

I found this: http://10times.com/china-clothing-textiles just by coincidence really. Remembered this thread and thought the link may be handy. :)

fashionlover
    • Total posts: 1
    Up

Hi there!

Not sure if you are still looking but Super Cheap Fabrics have a few stores around Melbourne, they offer boutique fabrics at pretty good prices so might be worth checking them out? supercheapfabrics.com.au

meretontextiles
    • Total posts: 13
    Up

Hi! I know this forum is old, but just in case someone has the same question, i thought i would comment…

We provide many fabrics at wholesale prices for all kinds of applications, such as fashion, swimwear, sportswear and also upholstery, curtains, cushions etc.

We have a library of over 500+ different design styles, and you can also even print your own and have a completely custom fabric… up to you

Our website is https://www.mereton.com.au if anyone wants more information

purplemood
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    meretontextiles, post: 238890, member: 76457 wrote:
    Hi! I know this forum is old, but just in case someone has the same question, i thought i would comment…

We provide many fabrics at wholesale prices for all kinds of applications, such as fashion, swimwear, sportswear and also upholstery, curtains, cushions etc.

We have a library of over 500+ different design styles, and you can also even print your own and have a completely custom fabric… up to you

Our website is https://www.mereton.com.au if anyone wants more information
    good to know might take a look

ChamilaJ
    • Total posts: 6
    Up
    TrishR, post: 196583, member: 59700 wrote:
    Hi guys,

We are designing an independent clothing label but we are struggling to find where we can source interesting wholesale fabric. Does anyone know where the fabric is hiding? I have spent hours online searching.

Also are there trade shows for material in Australia? Hoping someone has some suggestions for me. Cheers Trish

Hi Trish If you still on the search to source fabrics please send an email thru our website. thanks
    http://www.fia.net.au

Jessieandme
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    [Former] FS Concierge, post: 196671, member: 2205 wrote:
    Hi Trish,

Thanks for joining the forum :)

We’ll put a shout out on social media and see if we can rustle up any suggestions for you. Stay tuned!

Jayne

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.