Home – New Forums Other discussions SPAM – recommendations on how to reduce

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up
    ::

Ok,

So, i have been receiving so so so many emails of late that are pure spam and offers and the likes.. i have been getting very concerned to be honest that a lot are coming from people trawling the FS forums and then grabbing and spamming away at our emails..

As of last week, i set up a new email and oh my – the first spam i get is from a FS member with an unsolicited email offer.. very disappointing… has anyone else been experiencing this of late? and having similar issues?

Cheers
    Jason

ps.. not naming people as i do not think this is in the spirit of the forum although am interested in hearing how others have dealt with spam issues

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up

Yep, I’ve had a few.

None of them repeated, but I can be very blunt when required … threaten action under anti spam legislation, give them a fairly serious rundown on why their business is crap, leave a message on their profile page warning all visitors they’re spammers.

I’m open to any other techniques.

Have to say I’m not opposed to a genuine offer well targeted, but the ones I’ve had are just throwing sh*t against the wall, hoping some sticks.

John Romaine
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,108
    Up

The problem is you have a mailto link in your forum signature. It’s more likely to be automated spam – not someone actually sitting there emailing you.

Bots and spiders will be all over that and spamming you to death.

Remove it.

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up

Agree that naked email addresses are asking for it, but I’ve never had one in a signature … the odd occasion I’ve put an address in a post I haven’t had a problem.

Mine have come from trawling membership details, whether manual or scraped somehow I don’t know.

Got the impression from a couple that someone had signed up, never posted but were using links on forum profiles.

arrowwise
    • Total posts: 641
    Up

Try not to publish your primary business email address anywhere online. If this is too late, you wish to establish a new / clean primary email address.

Your email client should use the best spam filtering techniques in town. This is the best way to combat and manage it going forward. I receive tonnes of spam, however very little ends up in my inbox as legit mail.

Peter – FS Administrator
    • Total posts: 1,889
    Up

Hi Jason,

Thanks for reporting about this. Just to add to what a few others have said on this. We’ve investigated a couple of spam reports over the years where people have claimed to be associated with Flying Solo (or other sites for that matter) even though they are not members or associated with these sites.

What some of these spammers do is trawl popular sites on the internet looking for email addresses that are posted online and then sometimes claim to have some affiliation with the site where they found them.

While there is no way for them to access any of our member data in our system, they can scrape content on public pages. Generally it is due to email addresses being posted on on public threads or sometimes forum signatures or business website .

To avoid this on Flying Solo and similar forums, rather than publish your email address online you can ask users to send you a Private Message or email via the forum’s messaging system. That way they can send you a message but not access your contact details and you won’t need to disclose your email address publicly.

If you do get any unwanted/spam messages from actual members (who will need to be logged in), just hit the ‘report’ link and we can easily identify these members. Alternatively you can link to the contact form on your website rather than email address.

In general for business owners, it’s a matter of being easily contactable for genuine prospects and customers without opening up the door too wide to spammers – a tricky balancing act!

Cheers
    Peter

MissSassy
    • Total posts: 1,255
    Up

Gosh I almost feel left out that I have not been spammed by anyone ;) declaring their FS association.

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up

Hi Peter

Thanks for reply.. certainly understand, guess my biggest point of frustration which led me to post this was about an email i got shortly after changing my registered email address on FS.. literally altered the address so i could see what is purely coming through to me from FS side of things..

Within 1 day, i received an email offer from a registered FS member that i have had nil interactions with (that i am aware) as spam.. clearly… its not a random trawl, purely a member that appears to think that accessing emails from here is ok.. that was more what my frustration was about and was unsure how i should tacked it.. i know i did not articulate that well in my original post, although i did not want to offend anyone as well.. and purely wanted to see if others were getting similar..

Anyways, many thanks.. have manipulated my details a little more as per some advice above and do appreciate everyones time and input.. truly do.. TY.

Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    Peter – FS Administrator
    • Total posts: 1,889
    Up

Hi Jason,

Thanks for clarifying – appreciate the frustration!

Logged in members can send messages either via the forum or directory private messaging systems.

Sending unsolicited promotions via these channels is outside our guidelines and never goes down well. So, if you do have any concerns with member messages don’t hesitate to send them through to us and we can follow up directly.

Cheers,
    Peter

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.