Home – New Forums Tech talk Spam, spinning and SEO

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Keeta Nova
    • Total posts: 294
    Up
    ::

I have come to realise that our online environment is becoming the same as our natural environment.

Slowly, over the years we destroy the things that are valuable to us for the purpose of making money.

One day, perhaps quality websites like this one, will be on an endangered species list.

Jexley
    • Total posts: 382
    Up

In all honesty, this one is already starting to feel the effects of blatantly self-promoting, completely self-interested “professionals” who only come on here to blow their own horn about how awesome they are at things like SEO and web design and offer little more to a conversation other than promoting their own businesses.

Even their bloody questions are simply postbait with titles like “Who thinks a website is important to your business?” and they open the post with “I sure do! I’m Bill of TechDesignSEO Consulting, and we just so happen to do websites!”

It’s too hard to wade through the bullshit to find quality people with quality posts these days, which is why I’m a bit scarce. I feel bad, being that I was one of the original 80 or so they invited into this forum but, just like much of Teh Interwebs these days, it’s getting really hard to sort the quality from the crap.

Bless ’em though, the crew here are friggin’ ACES, and I’d be hard-pressed to find better in the world (they already PWN here in Oz).

Peter – FS Administrator
    • Total posts: 1,889
    Up

Hey Judd!!
    Always great to see you around these parts!! We’ve noticed your reduced presence :( The streets are safest around here when you’re in town.

So there’s good news :)

Jexley, post: 87499 wrote:
    Bless ’em though, the crew here are friggin’ ACES, and I’d be hard-pressed to find better in the world (they already PWN here in Oz).

And there’s bad news…

It’s too hard to wade through the bullshit to find quality people with quality posts these days, which is why I’m a bit scarce. I feel bad, being that I was one of the original 80 or so they invited into this forum but, just like much of Teh Interwebs these days, it’s getting really hard to sort the quality from the crap.

We love getting feedback (especially stuff we need to fix up) but it’s concerning that you’re getting that feeling about things getting more promotional. As one of the originals you’ll have a great sense of how it’s evolved. Moderating self-promotion is something we’ve focused on trying to balance since day one to maintain the value of the posts without diluting the networking benefits of getting involved. Perhaps this is something we need to tighten up further, especially as we get more posters.

We’re going to get into a huddle next week and review our processes around this. As always we’d love to hear input from you and others either publicly or by PM with input.

I’ve actually been filling in for Jayne’s as main moderator this week so perhaps I need to pull on bigger boots and start kicking in doors and taking names!

In the meantime, have a great weekend!

Peter (and the other ones)

Stuart B
    • Total posts: 1,070
    Up
    Even their bloody questions are simply postbait with titles like “Who thinks a website is important to your business?” and they open the post with “I sure do! I’m Bill of TechDesignSEO Consulting, and we just so happen to do websites!”

Excellent call.

Kathy Creaner
    • Total posts: 152
    Up

It is disappointing to open a thread that looks interesting to find that it’s full of self-promotion.

I’ve been wondering if perhaps I was feeling less tolerant than usual (busy, tired, grumpy) or if some of the requests for help are really a ‘visit my website and buy something’ ploy.

Mind you, I love seeing the encouraging and helpful posts so I’m still visiting.

I have to admit, I’ve been a little disappointed in the articles lately. I note that they don’t seem to be generating much comment either. Maybe we’re all getting too busy to communicate with each other.

Robert Gerrish
    • Total posts: 1,274
    Up

Thanks for your comments all.

Sorry to hear your thoughts about the articles Kathy…particularly as I can’t agree!

I think what you’re seeing with regards comments is what’s happening in online communities everywhere – a lot of the discussion is going on on Facebook. We’re steadily getting as many comments on our FB page as we are on the site.

Collectively, commenting and discussion is increasing, it’s just getting a little more spread out.

Like others in the online publishing space, we’re still making sense of it all and developing our own strategies.

It’s fast developing landscape and one we’re stoked to be in.

Robert

peppie
    • Total posts: 525
    Up

Have to admit to feeling a bit like Mr Jexley. I do a fair amount of crusin around the posts these days and not much commenting. Lately ive been wondering if it’s worth wading through too many posts every day. Not sure whether it’s that I don’t see much to comment on (have all the BIG questions already been dealt with?) or maybe there is something in the thought of offered help becoming more like something for ME!

Of course any endeavour will change direction over time and it is certainly true any organisation will go through a cycle from initial vision to something usually quite different to it’s beginnings. At that point it is either reborn by new vision or stagnates/goes off with a bang or a fizzle.

I do notice many original posters are just not around these days, or at least not showing their faces much. I would suggest you have a case of 2 levels here. The “old hands” and the “new hands”. Not that there is much of a difference in experience/knowledge etc.. Just simply a case of been there done that!

I made the suggestion once before that there may be a need for something like a master class level here (putting it in very general terms only). the sense here is that if you do not cater for that level then people just wander off. When that happens you suddenly realise your support base has drastically changed.

Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125
    Up

Simple solution – NO self promotion!

Sure you can have your followed signature links if you are a regular and have passed the 100 posts or whatever milestone, maybe even a link from your articles too if they are good enough to get published in the first place…

…but NO using the forum as a promotion channel.

Two warnings and that’s it, the third strike is out.

Ok thats my two bobs worth…

Keeta Nova
    • Total posts: 294
    Up

Wow. I think I’ve started something here.

DreamscanbeVisions
    • Total posts: 284
    Up

This THREAD (oops LOL) has nothing to do with spinning & SEO, you can even say that this whole thread is deceptive, you’re ranting about poorly written THREADS & you’re a copywriter yourself ;)

Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125
    Up

Dang just realised I have hit 400 posts here, now 401… thats a good enough excuse for a ‘red cordial’ or something :)

John C.
    • Total posts: 439
    Up

My take is that FS does seem to be getting a larger number of self-promoting posts, and it is sometimes difficult to wade through them, but I don’t think it’s because the quality of the site is being lowered – quite the opposite, I think it’s testament to the fact that this online community is so great and is building such a wonderful reputation that the amount of spam is going up along with the number of valuable members and quality posts.

Someone recently suggested a community-managed spam voting system, where all of us can tag an individual post as spam and after a certain number of “votes” a post is automatically sent to the sandbox for manual review by the FS moderators. I think this is a great suggestion. I have no idea how difficult it would be to implement, but I think it’s worth considering.

Anyway – for the most part I think this is the best discussion forum I’ve participated in and I think the FS team does a wonderful job of keeping things on track.

Cheers,
    John

Jexley
    Up
    DreamscanbeVisions, post: 87540 wrote:
    This website has nothing to do with spinning & SEO, you can even say that this whole thread is deceptive, your ranting about poorly written articles & you’re a copywriter yourself ;)
    WTF? Hope the smiley means yer takin’ the piss.
    Jexley
    Up
    Keeta, post: 87539 wrote:
    Wow. I think I’ve started something here.
    You did, you totally did. Heh.

Really, I think this is something that’s been bubbling under the surface for many of us, but because of our respect and appreciation for the FS crew, we didn’t want to seem as if we were pissin’ on their parade.

From my perspective (only one I got), I’m sick of seeing the 4-post wonders come in and spread complete f*ckery all over this beautiful forum. I grew sick of the only-slightly-knowledgable-but-it’s-new-so-I-can-fake-it SEO shysters flying in and out and dropping in their 2 cents on weeks-old threads too. Some of ’em are even nice enough guys, but after a while, it just gets tiring trying to filter out the drool from the cool.

Also, having no real suggestions for solutions (other than Aidan’s, which makes perfect sense, and I may have suggested before) I don’t feel comfortable just cryin’ about my beloved forum going to the dogs.

I reckon these folks have done a friggin’ amazing job, and when they advertised that role for an Admin, I remember thinking that somebody’d have to be pretty fkn excellent to do well at it, and I couldn’t imagine a better job than our SmileyJayne.

But still, this website, this forum, this community, is growing fast, and things that grow fast tend to get growing pains.

So yeah, FS CREW, I LOVE YOU GUYS. Lemme know if I can help on anything.

Smooches!
    -Judd

Jexley
    Up
    onsiteTECHS, post: 87548 wrote:
    My take is that FS does seem to be getting a larger number of self-promoting posts, and it is sometimes difficult to wade through them, but I don’t think it’s because the quality of the site is being lowered – quite the opposite, I think it’s testament to the fact that this online community is so great and is building such a wonderful reputation that the amount of spam is going up along with the number of valuable members and quality posts.
    Spot on.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.