Home – New Forums Other discussions spam voting button

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up
    ::

I think we need a spam voting button. Too often spam posts linger for longer than they should, and a community based spam removal system should be considered.

It is technically not hard to do. Users can maybe have different voting points power – users with over 100 posts have 5 points, 50 have 2 and under that 1 point.

A post would need 20 points for auto removal, or maybe just 4 votes.

BarefootMaternity
    • Total posts: 99
    Up
    King, post: 86564 wrote:
    I think we need a spam voting button. Too often spam posts linger for longer than they should, and a community based spam removal system should be considered.

It is technically not hard to do. Users can maybe have different voting points power – users with over 100 posts have 5 points, 50 have 2 and under that 1 point.

A post would need 20 points for auto removal, or maybe just 4 votes.

GREAT idea!

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up

mmm…but could this power be used for evil? :rolleyes:

Under your plan King I could wield some power…I like it !!

Wendy :)

BrettM33
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,372
    Up

That’s a really great idea. Though I don’t think the post should be physically removed, I think it should be “hidden” and moved into a queue for moderation by a mod/admin. :)

Stuart B
    • Total posts: 1,070
    Up

Yeah I think that’s a good idea. But yeah I don’t think it should be an auto-delete. It should flag it for review by a mod or something.

Peter – FS Administrator
    • Total posts: 1,889
    Up

Thanks King and all. While member moderation is a great idea, we’ve looked at this in the past and it was the implementation that was the stumbling block – both in terms of the system and guidelines for moderating the moderators.

It’s well worth exploring. Has anyone seen an example of this sort of approach in action that we might be able to check out?

Cheers,
    Peter

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

yes it was implemented over at http://forums.site-reference.com/

You don’t need to moderate the moderators, as it would take several votes to cause and action, which as some have suggested could move it to a queue for admin assessment.

Peter – FS Administrator
    Up

Thanks a lot for that King, I’ll register over there and get a feel for how it works.
    Cheers,
    Peter

sixx
    • Total posts: 333
    Up

I think things get cleaned up pretty quickly already.
    Generally if I see spam it’s gone by my next visit.

Besides, if everything was removed too quickly most of us would be missing out on gems such as this:

“How to wear with ugg boots become more and more important in the world”

Pure brilliance.

Peter – FS Administrator
    Up
    sixx, post: 87360 wrote:
    Besides, if everything was removed too quickly most of us would be missing out on gems such as this:

“How to wear with ugg boots become more and more important in the world”

Ha! That was gone quickly thanks to rapid reporting by Couple IT, but it was a great one. I’ve been wondering why I don’t feel as important as I’d hoped :)
    We are checking out the voting options too.

Alan Maddick
    • Total posts: 410
    Up

A Spam voting button would be great. And i wear ugg boots!

Peter – FS Administrator
    Up

Thanks all! We love the idea of a function where members can flag certain posts as spam and have them sent to an offline moderation queue for manual checking. We’re currently researching vBulletin options/plugins that might help to implement this sort of thing but no immediate luck. If you see examples of this sort of thing in action please send them through. In the meantime we’ll crank up our own spam busting efforts.
    Don’t forget to hit the ‘report post’ button on anything dodgy too and we’ll jump on it.
    Thanks again,
    Peter

Peter – FS Administrator
    Up

Hi all,
    Just a quick update on this topic. We’ve had a good look around and there appears to be nothing out there for vBulletin that does quite what we’re after based on your brilliant suggestions. So, we’re currently talking to some people about building a custom plug-in for the site. We’re just finalising the details around functionality, then all being well we should be ready to get it up and running soon(ish). We’ll let you know.
    Thanks again for the suggestion.
    Cheers,
    Peter

BrettM33
    Participant
    Up

I have now noticed the little spam button that was added…… does this work how was discussed above? Any chance it could be a little bit more noticeable like the other buttons? :)

Thanks for adding it!

BrettM33
    Participant
    Up

It seems this spam link doesn’t show up for some posts, as I just noticed some new spam posts and every post in the thread had the spam link but the ones that actually needed it didn’t lol

So I just reported it as spam with the report post button.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.