Home – New Forums Tech talk Speed Up Your WordPress Website

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    scradley
    • Total posts: 13
    Up
    ::

Hey Everyone,

If you want to improve the page speed of your WordPress website I’ve put together a page that describes how to setup a caching plugin and a process for identifying why your website is slow and resolving them.

http://wpjobz.com/speed-up-wordpress-caching-plugins/

Any feedback, suggestions etc. are greatly appreciated either here on the forum or as comments on the page.

Regards,
    Scott.

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up

I think perhaps you need to do a little homework on your own site before offering advice on improving WP page speed.

I ran the tests you suggest on the link provided (your page), the results were pretty poor:

On Pingdom … 70 requests, 15.92 seconds load time, your site is slower than 92% of all sites tested.

Page Speed Insights, was no better (62/100) … about 8 render blocking JavaScript requests above the fold, and a poor server response time.

See attached screenshots:

[ATTACH]775.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]776.vB[/ATTACH]

I find one of the quickest ways to optimise site speed is to avoid using WordPress to start with, but I know I’ll lose that argument on this forum.

There’s a lot more to WP than than pushing a button on Cpanel using cheap shared hosting. A great tool in the right hands though.

BTW, it would cost quite a bit more than $5 if you want me to fix it.

Cheers

scradley
    Up

I set this website up for my original business plan which was to provide websites to schools in Australia so it is a multi-user installation on a VPS in Sydney. Now my business targets WordPress users worldwide.

Some of these issues are best solved by moving the hosting provider to something in US where my clients will be and create a new WP installation which is just for wpjobz and doesn’t have the legacy of the my past attempts.

Thanks for the tip, I’ll make those changes rather than delaying any more.

scradley
    Up

Ok so I’ve moved the site and created it from scratch without all the other stuff. There are still some obvious improvements that can be done but its a start…

[ATTACH]777.vB[/ATTACH]

On Pingdom … 67 requests, 2.58 seconds load time, your site is faster than 60% of all sites tested. I do find Pingdom can vary quite alot so it’s probably better to take an average of 5.

Page Speed Insights is (64/100) for mobile & (88/100) for desktop

I’ll focus my efforts on the render blocking and mobile issues next.

Thanks again.

mylesagnew
    • Total posts: 14
    Up

Scott,
    Just heads up that pingdom.com is based in the USA so your score is going to be pretty crap unless you use a CDN.

Highly recommend cloudflare.com, I’ve been using them for years now.

If your after a more realistic measuring tool try alertra.com it will show different speeds from various locations.

Myles

scradley
    Up

Thanks Myles,

I’ve added that link to the list to use to baseline your site.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.