Home – New Forums Starting your journey Spelling dilemma

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Lee333
    • Total posts: 43
    Up
    ::

I will soon be launching a product that I will initially market to Australia and New Zealand but hope to take it international very quickly.

I need to use the word “colour” on my product packaging. Should I do a second print run for the international market spelling it “color”, or should I dig in as a proud Aussie and keep our traditional spelling for all markets?

Zoe888
    • Total posts: 5
    Up

My gut feeling (with a background in copywriting and marketing) is to do a second print run for the US with US spelling. Is there any way you can advertise now for a product? Perhaps to put people who are interested in your product on a pre-launch mailinglist or send some information product that’s related? The reason I’m asking is that with Google ads you could run 2 versions of the same ad and you could vary the spelling. You could spend a tiny bit of money on those ads and see what the response is in the US (using geo restrictions on your ad) with each spelling variation and then make your decision from that on the packaging.

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

It doesn’t matter.

Do the US spelling, as long as you are using the same version in each time.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

If I have a choice I don’t buy products which use the American spelling. ie. Z…It comes down to respect for you local market

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up

It’s not uncommon to have different packaging for the US.

I’d do a separate run for that market when the time comes, because you may need to change your design slightly anyway.

Wendy :)

Bunyip
    • Total posts: 39
    Up

I’d do two print runs. But 1st check the US market what sells in one place may not sell in another. I don’t mean the product but the packaging, colouring and message.
    :-)
    Lisa

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.