Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Sponsoring a local sporting teams

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Dan_1
    • Total posts: 23
    Up
    ::

Hi Guys,
    Part of our Marketing Strategy this year was to review sponsorship options for our business.
    With an aim to assist with developing our presence in the local market and potentially generating a few leads.
    From this I was wondering if any of you currently sponsor or have sponsored a local sporting team at some level and do you believe this to be a successful value adding marketing tool for your business?
    Any feedback or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dan

alliedib
    • Total posts: 453
    Up

Hi Dan,

Both our companies sponsor various sporting teams and community events – anything from player equipment to golf score cards to naming rights to events. For us it is more about ‘brand awareness’ – even though 1 of the companies has been operating 20 years its always good to reinforce as a supporter of the community.

I find that sponsoring a sporting teams playing shorts maximises exposure, as there are always action shots in the local paper with our logo front and centre. Businesses pay hundreds each week to get on the back page of the paper yet we get ours on there for (relatively) free – not every week but enough. Players also use the shorts post-season at the gym etc so this is additional (free) advertising.

Regards,

Mark

Dan_1
    Up

Thanks Mark,
    Interesting information.
    How did you choose the sports and events you sponsor?
    Do they have any relationship to your target demographics for your businesses or are they based more on your personal preference etc?

alliedib
    • Total posts: 453
    Up

Hi Dan,

It is somewhat a bit of both – I am aligned with one of the teams that we sponsor (as a player turned coach and a committee member) but others have been our target market or a partnership with an existing client. In some instances, however, it is more about community involvement and is not directed at achieving sales (more subliminal marketing by assisting the community).

Am happy to have a chat if you want to give me a call.

Regards,

Mark

MilaniJuiceBar
    Up

I haven’t done it personally, yet, I hope to do it in time for term 4 of school.

One of my mates sponsored the local basketball team, he ran a fruit and veg shop, mainly because most of the parents of the kids went shopping at the shopping centre his shop was located. So as a familiar face, parents were more obliged to shop at his shop to show their gratitude.

I think it can work, but you need to be strategic about it and really think what the return on investment is going to be. It doesn’t always have to be monetary, I think it’s great to just show that you are supporting the local community, you could put up a picture of the team in your store etc

Dan_1
    Up

Thanks Mark you have pretty much confirmed my train of thought with your last post.
    Our ultimate aim is to increase brand awareness as we believe that this is currently our biggest hitter for lost opportunity as people just simply do not know about us yet!
    If we can increase that awareness as well as giving a little back to the local community I believe Sponsorship may be the way to go for us.

Cheers

Dan

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.