Home – New Forums Get productive Spreadsheets

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Sh33py
    • Total posts: 13
    Up
    ::

Hi all!

I am sure you have all gone over the possibilities of how to keep all your sales and management data conveniently summarised and all in one place. I myself am using spread sheets with formulas and for specific categories to help me look at my statistics at a glace. I have tried many many POS packages but I could never find one that tailored to my requirements. Although I did find a great app on the iPad that had everything I needed and streamlined the process of entering data which saved me time, I found that the more data and products and expenses I entered the slower and unresponsive it got. It even got to the point where I was getting notifications saying memory was too low!.

I could spend up to 2 hours of a morning just doing data entry for approx 15 – 20 sales and I have to manually update inventory as I cannot figure out how to go about making a formula to automatically update when I enter in a sale. I am aware that there is the risk of being forgetful and not updating the inventory when I do process a sale (although I am very attentive).

I am an eBay seller (for the time being) and I use the spreadsheets to track sales, inventory, customers, expenses and summaries. That is all I need, no payroll or even tax calculations as it is all simple to calculate from the summaries that are created. My question is does anyone know of any FREE open source software packages that would benefit me and my productivity. I have Linux on my laptop and WIndows 7 on my pc just to make it more difficult however I do have WINE for Linux which allows windows applications to run on the Linux platform (though not all programs work).
    I have tried products like MYOB but that has too many features that I would never use. I am quite happy to pay for a product that would suit my needs but to be honest I think all the packages are too expensive.

Thank you in advance!.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

HI,
    you could try GNUCash gnome based and usable on linux and windows.
    it has a simple check book option for ins and outs, or can be as full blown as MYOB or QuickBooks, files can be exported to Quickbook format forthe accountant if needed.
    As to its easyness ?? depends on the person I think.

if you prefer KDE type things, then I think its called KMoney which i believe is similar to Microsoft Money. Idont know much about this 1 though.

Both should be downloadable from the distrobution repositories, if not already in the menu somewhere.

so recapp:

GNUCASH – gnome based:
    works on – Linux
    – Windows

KMONEY – KDE based:
    works on Linux.

MCUBE
    • Total posts: 5
    Up

I use InFlow Inventory, I would definitely check it out if i were you, it sounds like it will do everything you want, plus it is free.

edit: It can also import all of your products, customers, etc. from your excel spreadsheets.

Joe n Mel n Kids
    • Total posts: 13
    Up

hey i can agree on the “spreadsheet” as a really good tool for small business, there are soooo many formulas and i am still learning how good it can be ….
    as for the auto up date of stock when an entry is made i would have thought that would be fairly easy, even accross seperate workbooks it is possible ….
    I would love to see what you are after if you are interested i may be able to help, i am NOT an expert, rather far from it nor is it my line of business rather i have used it because of “need” and have done all sorts of things, one thing i find as a very useful tool is to allocate “codes” to stock as that makes it so much better to work with, i dont mean bar codes either, with codes you can utilize the “VLOOKUP” functions with awsome results, merging them to ordering, stock control, stock takes, pricing and margins, budget (departments) and it can go on…
    Cheers
    Joe

Five Star PA
    • Total posts: 64
    Up

Hey all,

I have spent lots of years developing MS Access Databases. These are perfect for taking the hard work out of this sort of stuff. The good bit is that you can import info from a .csv file or excel sheet say and yet all the reports are pre programmed in Access and with the click of a button you can view, reports as detailed and customised as you want or as charts etc. Access comes as part of the professional office package so most people already have it.

Fantastic tool and you’ll be amazed how easily it can be manipulated. Initially the set up might take you a good few hours but then for ever more you’r done and dusted. Or alternatively you can continue to add onto and grow you database requirements if you need to.

Access isn’t on Apple Mac though. They have filemaker in stead.

Meredith
    Five Star PA

snicho
    • Total posts: 34
    Up
    MCUBE, post: 58609 wrote:
    I use InFlow Inventory, I would definitely check it out if i were you, it sounds like it will do everything you want, plus it is free.

edit: It can also import all of your products, customers, etc. from your excel spreadsheets.

@MCUBE
    – I just took a quick look at InFlow. I hadn’t seen it previously.

It looks surprisingly comprehensive and easy to use. It’s main focus is on managing stock inventory and sales and it looks like it does that well.

I like finding software tools that focus on providing a specific solution to business needs, does it well, and doesn’t cost a fortune.

The fact that it has a free version is ideal for startups and small business. I’ve previously spent time customising order process systems and reports in Excel for various sized companies, but this looks like it will accommodate most basic requirements for free; even the paid license options would be less cost for medium sized businesses than the projects I’ve charged out in the past.

Thanks for pointing this one out.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.