Home – New Forums Tech talk SSL security certificates

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Tiggerito
    • Total posts: 362
    Up
    ::

Hi,

I need to organise an SSL security certificate.

Are their any gotchas or tips anyone has.

Are some certificates better than others?

Cheers

John C.
    • Total posts: 439
    Up

What will you be using the certificate for? The type of certificate you need really depends on your requirements (for example securing an online store can be tackled in a very different way to securing a staff portal or access to staff webmail).

Some certificates definitely are better than others, but more importantly some are more suited to specific requirements than others. Verisign is a leading seller of certificates – I’m not suggesting you buy one from them (they are quite expensive), but their website does have lots of information on the various types of certificates they sell… https://www.verisign.com.au/

Cheers,
    John

marvelit
    • Total posts: 169
    Up

Dont forget its not a one off payment. SSL certs expire!

Tiggerito
    • Total posts: 362
    Up

Cheers,

It’s for a shopping cart and online payment system. So just for a website.

I guess part if it is the trust people associate with the company as well.

Do different certificates show up as more secure in the browsers?

marvelit
    • Total posts: 169
    Up

yeah verisign are the best. They are bloody pricey though.

What sort of payment methods are you looking at? Some places can do all the payment gateways + certificates for you.

John C.
    • Total posts: 439
    Up
    Tiggerito, post: 67965 wrote:
    Cheers,

It’s for a shopping cart and online payment system. So just for a website.

I guess part if it is the trust people associate with the company as well.

Do different certificates show up as more secure in the browsers?

Yes. You want one from a “Root CA” (Certificate Authority), as they are trusted by default in all the main browsers, which means that users won’t see any warnings. You can view the Authorities installed on your browser by going to the options page (in Firefox it’s under Advanced | Encryption | View Certificates | Authorities) – the certificates issued by those authorities will not present any warnings to the users. The biggest players in the market are Verisign, Thawte, Geotrust and some others.

Technically you can issue your own certificates, which may be just as secure (in an encryption sense), or self sign a certificate from a lesser providor, but users will see a great big warning which tells them that the certificate is untrusted or self signed – okay if you can explain to your users and have them install the certificate manually, but definitely not recommended for an online store.

Verisign is definitely one of the better ones, but as MarvelIT says, very expensive. They do come with exceptional support and insurance. They tend to make you jump through hoops to prove your identity, which is a good thing when you think about it!

I would also recommend asking your payment gateway what they recommend – using a certificate that they are familiar with would probably make it easier to get support if something goes wrong. They may have economical options available through their main vendor, due to the number of certificates they deal with.

Good luck,
    John

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.