Home – New Forums Starting your journey StandardsMark – Is this a must have?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Eee
    • Total posts: 5
    Up
    ::

Hi all,

Would anyone know whether having a StandardsMark license on a product is compulsory in Australia before I start selling it?

I have been researching it on Google as well as on the SAI Global website, and from what I can understand is that ‘no’ I do not need a license as long as my product meets or exceeds the Australian Standard relating to my product.

Does anyone have any experience in this area in which they can share?

Thanks

Eric

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

I would suggest that it is not compulsory.

From what I understand – “StandardsMark” is a certified trademark, belonging to SAI Global. So, if you wish to be able to claim your product meets their rules and criteria then you’ll need to apply to them accordingly and gain their approval to use their trademark under the appropriate license. (Furthermore, it doesn’t seem that SAI Global have even registered “StandardsMark” as a certification trademark in Australia….)

It is not a governmental mark of approval or requirement in Australia.

It’s kind of like some Australians have chosen to apply for, and gain approval, to use things like the “Made in Australia” trademarks, or the Heart Foundation’s “tick” trademark. These have become recognised by consumers and we tend to associate them with products of a certain nature or standard but they are not at all legally required.

If you have not already, I would suggest you read through the information at the government’s website – http://www.productsafety.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/970225 – this will help get an idea of what your particular product must do/meet etc.

Hope this helps :)

Kennethti
    • Total posts: 415
    Up

I believe you have to apply for and qualify to have a standards mark on your goods otherwise you could be in breach of the standards trade mark or brought to court for misleading and deceptive conduct. There’s been a few cases about this in the past.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.