Home – New Forums Get productive Standing desk

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Joel Krause
    • Total posts: 103
    Up
    ::

Hey Guys,
    Long time no talk!

Just recently I have been noticing myself spending an increased time sitting at my desk, and although I have put in measures to make it as ergonomic as possible (monitor stand, nice chair, good keyboard and mouse) I still found myself having a sore back after not long sitting.

So I went on a mission to turn my desk into a standing desk. Has anyone else done this? I always thought they looked cool when I saw other peoples in the pictures but now that I’ve done it I am also noticing better posture as well.

Welcome any discussion relating to the standing desk!

Cheers
    Joel

dovemck
    • Total posts: 1
    Up

Hi Joel

The key to good health and good ergonomic practice is to vary your posture. Sitting for long periods is as bad as standing for that period of time so ideally you’d want a workstation that can accommodate both postures. Some people find a three-drawer file cabinet a good height to do some of the standing work, others have a sitting station and a separate standing station. If you don’t have the luxury of that much space then I’d recommend you check out the Ergotron adjustable height workstation which is pretty reasonable (Google it and find your local sales person, which, btw, is NOT me :-)). It only lifts the monitor and keyboard and fits very simply on a desk. A much nicer and way more expensive alternative is an adjustable height desk – the whole surface is adjustable and usually comes with a foot rest too.

Just as an aside – usually the WORST possible ergonomic set up is someone working from a laptop. Keyboard too far from the body, screen not high enough and those little track pads in the center so you have to move your wrist from a neutral position just to click on them.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Joel,

There’s a great discussion on standing desks and treadmill desks here, which you might like to check out.

Hi dovemck, thanks for your helpful contribution, and welcome to Flying Solo! :)

All the best,
    Jayne

PineapplePear
    • Total posts: 83
    Up

Interesting topic Joel.
    I really do need to do something about my desk situation, although not sure I could do the standing desk option. I think I need to lift the monitor up and definitely need a new chair. My posture is definitely suffering.

My husband has bulging discs and last year was working in a desk job (he’s a tradesman) so this was out of the norm. His back went downhill rapidly whilst he was sitting at the desk each day, and he found standing or even lying on the floor was a much better solution. He ended up going back on the tools and his back whilst still bad is much better for it.

There’s a business there somewhere for someone to come up with functional, ergonomic and aesthetic office solutions I think!

(ps, had a giggle when I read the topic, immediately thought of Victoria Beckham in those sky high stilettos on the treadmill desk…)

MissSassy
    • Total posts: 1,255
    Up

I definitely like the idea of a standing desk, will have to try it one day.

Katie @ Edge Editing
    • Total posts: 19
    Up

I have an electronic sit/stand desk so that at the push of a button I can go from standing to sitting. I have found it much better for my back and shoulders to vary between standing and sitting. It was expensive but when I am spending long periods editing it helps my concentration levels and posture to change positions.

Plus, I keep the desk in the standing position when I am not using it as keeps all my work stuff away from little fingers.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

That’s really interesting Katie – thanks for sharing your experience with us.

Can you please let us know the brand and where you got it from? I’d be interested in checking it out.

Cheers,
    Jayne

Katie @ Edge Editing
    • Total posts: 19
    Up

Hi Jayne

I bought mine from a local business in Canberra: Office Partners http://officepartners.com.au/index.php/shop/ergonomic-solutions/sit-stand-desks-and-workstations

They were great and came and installed it for me. They have an online shop so they may deliver around Australia for those not lucky enough to enjoy our Canberra winters!

Cheers
    Katie

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.