Home – New Forums Starting your journey Start at the start – what do you call yourself?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    rjk
    • Total posts: 8
    Up
    ::

Hi there – I’m new here but have been reading for quite a while! I’m about to incorporate my company after having been a sole trader for many years and I’m just wondering what title people use?

Am I the CEO, the MD, Founder, etc. I will remain a sole employee/Director for a little while, before bringing on employees, then I guess eventually, all going well, additional directors?

I haven’t found anything in my research that really covers this clearly. So what do Company Owners call themslef on their business card?

Am really interested to hear!

Thanks

rjk
    Up

* themselves

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up

I have used – nothing, blank, nada – as well as Owner, Manager, Founder at different times and in different circles.

Mischelle
    • Total posts: 805
    Up

Hi,

From experience, I have found it depends on your target market,

• If you are dealing with Corporate clients, many clients seem to like titles, I have been asked in the past what my title is, when I didn’t have it on my business cards.
    • If you are dealing with consumers they don’t seem to care what your title is, as long as your service or product meets their needs and they are happy.

Being that you are a small business, your role will encompass many things, the title I have on my business cards Operations Manager EG: I deal with ALL the operational needs of the company – meaning everything LOL. :)

I do NOT use Director or CEO, even though I am actually one of the Directors and majority share holder, but to me that title can actually be detrimental to my business for corporate clients, as they will ask why a CEO is doing sales pitches and they question the resources my business has available.

Cheers
    Mischelle :)

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

I sign off as Director + Qualification – for me, that is “Director + Trade Marks Attorney”. In my business this works well; clients or prospects know immediately my qualification but in my business I think it is beneficial they know they’re dealing with the owner/boss. It’s interesting reading Mischell’s experience – and from that the title used – as it indicates each industry and target audience will be different in terms of how they react and respond.

Mischelle
    • Total posts: 805
    Up
    JacquiPryor, post: 260822, member: 20176 wrote:
    I sign off as Director + Qualification – for me, that is “Director + Trade Marks Attorney”. In my business this works well; clients or prospects know immediately my qualification but in my business I think it is beneficial they know they’re dealing with the owner/boss. It’s interesting reading Mischell’s experience – and from that the title used – as it indicates each industry and target audience will be different in terms of how they react and respond.
    I agree Jacqui, you need to know and understand your market, and that will drive what you choose.

I like the title and qualification, that really looks good.

Cheers
    Mischelle

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

I agree with [USER=60404]@Mischelle[/USER] and [USER=20176]@JacquiPryor[/USER] it all depends on the business you are running.

I see to many business cards which say CEO or some other pompous title, yet you know they are really the chief bottle washer.

Keep it relevant to your business.

rjk
    Up

Thanks everyone – some great things to think about there. A fine line between indicating you are the decision maker and sounding like a ….

James Millar
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,739
    Up
    bb1, post: 260836, member: 53375 wrote:
    I agree with [USER=60404]@Mischelle[/USER] and [USER=20176]@JacquiPryor[/USER] it all depends on the business you are running.

I see to many business cards which say CEO or some other pompous title, yet you know they are really the chief bottle washer.

Keep it relevant to your business.

I always like the “Managing Director” title for single director companies. A bit of fun.

Helping build better businesses and better lives with expert financial and taxation advice. [email protected] www.360partners.com.au 03 9005 4900
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.