Home – New Forums Starting your journey Start-up Food Importer

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Ambitious
    • Total posts: 3
    Up
    ::

Hello,

I am looking to start a food imports business based in Sydney, Australia. My supplier is based in India. The food items are primarily frozen products such as ‘ready-to-eat’ meals and it’s 100% vegetarian. The product needs to be shipped in a reefer container and has to be stored at -20 degree. I am looking to bring in an initial shipment of assorted items to test the market.

So far, I am struggling to find a customs broker cum freight forwarder and a warehousing/distributor based in Sydney who can provide some indicative quotes for shipping the items on a CIF basis and provide storage and distribution. I intend to use third party logistics initially as I do not want to rent a warehouse, setup distribution etc. without knowing if the products sell. However, none of the freight and warehousing companies that I have contacted have responded and some have declined outright!

I would really appreciate if someone in this forum, with experience in this field, could provide guidance and recommend few logistics/freight forwarding companies who would be able to assist with my venture. If anyone in this forum with experience in importing Indian food products could provide useful tips for new importes that would be really very helpful.

Thanks in advance.
    Thanks.

Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,566
    Up

Hi there,

Thanks for joining us on the forums!

Hopefully you’ll get some helpful advice, but in the meantime we’re glad to have you on board. :)

Dave

EmilyYVT
    • Total posts: 6
    Up

Good Morning Ambitious

As you are buying CIF, the supplier will ship through their freight forwarder & your responsbility is only from arrrival at port.

I would suggest you look for two seperate identites.

1/ a customs broker: If the goods you will be importing are basically the same all the time i would suggest you obtain a writen classifcation advise from customs to help avoid delays with queries on import with regard to specific ingredients.

2/ distributor with cool / freezer faciltiies: If you contacted a few in sydney they should be able to point you in the right direction.

I hope this has been helpful.

My company Your Virtual Team provide support for Australian small business’ and international logistics is one area of our expertise.

Emily Pearson
    [email protected]

Ambitious
    Up

Hi Emily,

Thanks for your advise. The goods are infact FOB (I mistyped!) and therefore I am looking for the services of a customs broker cum freight forwarder to assist with the customs clearance and delivery of goods to the warehouse.

I have tried contacting a number of cold storage warehouses but have had no response unfortunately? Would you happen to have some contacts that you can recommend?

Cheers

Ambitious
    Up

If you are looking for some professional advice regarding import/export or logistics, I would highly recommend contacting Emily Pearson ([email protected]) from ‘Your Virtal team’. Emily assisted me by providing valuable information and insights on my business requirements and obtained freight and distribution options and industry contacts, all within a short span of one week! Very prompt, responsive and professional service.

Thanks heaps Emily! Much appreciated.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.